Confused about audio setup (mic+piano/keyboard)

Hey, so I received my mic and interface. Plugged it all in, downloaded "focusrite control" and the drivers from focusrite.
I installed reaper and cakewalk to try out both. Inside the daw I set the audio system to ASIO and the ASIO driver to Focusrite USB ASIO (following a tutorial I saw on ytb).
I'm now good to go right? I tried it out and I think the quality is good. I'm also using direct monitoring and that seems to work quite well.
That's good. Stick with all that--it's a good place to start. Yes, direct monitoring is the way to go. Oh, and for the money, AT's sister mic of the 2020, the AT 2010, is an excellent microphone to have in your budding collection too. I've got a few of them.

The AT 2010 is a hand held condenser mic. 3.9mV sensitivity, so somewhat stronger than an SM58. It's about $20 more than the Shure 57 or 58.

That mic . . . . Years ago, while recording three of us in a small bedroom, with a drum kit four feet to my right (the room was so small Andy the drummer had to climb back into his space by stepping up onto the bass drum! It was his only way in and out), I used the AT 2010 for my vocals and another one for the acoustic guitar I played about three quarters of time. We recorded a twelve-string (miked up with some cheap and obscure back-electret mic), my acoustic with the 2010, and the drums with six mics on it. I expected to have to overdub the acoustic, at least as much for sound quality as room noise, but upon listening to the recordings I was shocked at the fidelity of my acoustic. I was able to keep the recordings with minimal EQ, and even the 12 string came out good (the other player actually would hit the guitar headstock against the drum overhead stand now and again). We wound up doing a couple dozen songs over a period of a year and a half, and the 2010 always worked out. At about $120.00, picked up a few over time. I've yet to try them for other things, like miking drums or amps, but in time I will.
*Maybe this summer we will do some shows, using just acoustics and a drum machine, and I will be using the AT 2010 for vocals and acoustic.

Ive totally missed that one, I will keep a look out, thanks.
The 2010 has the same 16mm capsule as the side address 2020. Frequency response is hyped in the 2010 starting about 2k around +5db vs the 2020 that rises subtlety +1-2db starting at 5k. If you like the 2020, you might like a brighter 2010 but it'll be more mid forward. How's the 2020 on sibilant voices? At $20 more, unless you need handheld, not sure it's worth the extra $. Top end of the curve looks sort of like the Beta 87 which I've always had issues with on many female singers.

Back