Hi MD Compatability?

Eh...

The MDD disks generally come in 76 and 80 minute varieties...

The Hi MD disks are the Gigabyte disks used in the newer MiniDisc machines...
It's not so much what the disc is like as much as what your player is...

If a player is newer and handles the Gigabyte Hi MD discs / they will generally read and play the MDD disks...
But, it doesn't go the other way around...

If you're talking about recording with a multi-channel recorder, I don't believe those units will format or use a Hi MD Disk...

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the info Riverdog, I have a Yamaha MD8 which uses MDD disks for multi track recording. The downside is that they're a little expensive... :(

Was hoping that the Hi MD's were compatable, as they're cheaper. Oh well, it was a good idea while it lasted! ;)

What about using the Hi-MD players to transfer the multitrack info to a PC for editing? HAs anyone tried doing this? I keep thinking about getting one to try it, but don't have the extra cash to do it now.

Mmm...

That would be fine If the format used on the multirecorder were recording .wav or .aiff ...

If it's a proprietary format, you'd only transfer the file to find it would be unreadable by the computer...

Check the manual on the recorder to see what format it records in...
Chances are if it's a standard format, the 'transfer capability' of one of the high MD players should be able to read it...

Back