LIVE RECORDING

Bloozman

This weekend I've been asked to record a friends band at a road side beer joint (yippie!)its B.Y.O.G. bring your own gun. But seriously he's a good friend and I can hold my own.I'm bingin my Yamaha MD8 and planned on recording in 4 track mode for better recording time. My question is what is the best way to mic this? I was thinking 2 mics out front in maybe an XY configuration and a line or two off the board.By the way the only "matched pair" of mics I have on hand are SM57(are they good distance room mics?)and some RadioShack condensor mics I got dirt cheap(I know the feelings for RS but I thought they are condensor and on sale what could it hurt?)ANY and ALL suggestions and ideas are appreciated!

Yo Bloozman:

Wow, you have assigned yourself one tough assignment.

I would guess that if you are miking the "leads," like vocalist, horn, guitar, bass, etc., you won't need a mic for the drums; they should prevail into almost any mic configuration.

Be at the MD-8 and set levels and adjust levels during performance. And, ask the great Ganish to look down upon you and smile.

Green Hornet

Back