Minidisk vs iRiver

Rudy2

Hi all,

I would liketo be able to make decent field recordings during band rehearsal. I would like to have something small, cheap, and accurate so I can record for myself to do practice and improvising at a later time. I would also like to be able to upload the data to my PC and burn CD's for listening on my home stereo.

So what I am looking at is either; an MD player, which as I understand it are not designed for upload to a PC due to copyright protection laws, or an iRiver product, which isn't exactly designed for field recording either. So, is there a way to get around the upload protection of a MD recorder or should I just go with an iRiver device? As I understand it, no iRiver device allows adjusting of the record-in signal strength so you are stuck with a preset. Is this true?

Maybe someone out there has the ideal solution for me and my needs? Remember, cheap is good as I am not interested in springing for one of the new purpose-designed digital recorders that have appeared lately. Somehow I think an MD recorder or iRiver could work fine for me if I choose the right one.

Any advice or recommendations? Thanks.

Randy

i got somebody the cheap iriver for christmas and the built in mic is nice for recording quick ideas on acoustic guitar or something, but it only saves the files as 128kbps mp3s so i doubt the line in would be any better. i wouldn't really recommend it, i guess is what i'm getting at.

Wow, thanks for the reply "treymonfauntre"

This forum seems sort of lame. Any suggestions from anyone for a more lively list to investigate with better interest and more active involvement? I really was hoping for better response since this should be a subject that is sort of immediate right now... You know, MD vs hard drive vs stick memory. Right??? Anyone out there? Zzzzz. Helllooo!

Randy

I'd be in favor of Minidisc.

The new Hi-MD units record 16-bit/44.1kHz (wav) format, and can do transfers to/from the PC. I've not heard of any limitation on uploading music data to the PC, but I could be wrong. The best Hi-MD recorder to get should have mic and line inputs plus USB. I can't remember the exact model numbers, but go check www.minidisc.org for the lowdown on Minidisc recorders.

no minidisc. :)

nomad jukebox 3(130-150 bucks)...20g hard drive, wav 16/48 digi/analog in....

add to that a SP-PASM-2 from sound professionals...you are in business.

I have a iRiver IHP-120 with a line in and out and optical line in and out.
It records 16bit wav files not just MP3's.

I have done a few simple stereo recordings with a mixer and two condeser mic's and was happy with the results.

Now if I could get a gig to use this stuff to record, HAHA!

I say go with a MP3/multi codec type recorder over the MD.

-Blaze

I just got a Tascam Pocketstudio 5, and I'm pretty jazzed about that,...

I think!............... :eek: ;)

The PS5's small, it's a 4-tracker that records 2-tracks simultaneously from 2 inputs, and it has an extensive Midi playback capability with an internal midi tone generator. I'm not sure how much record time is on the maximum 128Mb CF card, but it's quite a bit. The PS5's internal data files are a Tascam proprietary format, but the onboard mixdown capability records to mp3 format. It's a cool toy for such a small gadget. It's highly capable and sounds good too.

;)

http://www.tascam.com/Products/PocketStudio5.html

Attachments

• Tascam Pocketstudio 5b.jpg
    Tascam Pocketstudio 5b.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 33
i have minidisc

I was asking the same question a few months ago

At the time, I couldn't find an mp3 player with line or mic in (probably there but couldn't find it).

I got a minidisc and have been very happy.

It works great, and media expansion is cheap.

I think mp3 player would probably be better. minidisc is a bit of a pain with file transfers and such.

Back