minidisK?

The quick answer:...

Minidisc recording at it's most basic level is supposed to be as much like old-school cassette recording as possible,... 'cept with more clarity to the sound (no hiss) and a whole lot of higher capablilies that only digital can offer.

Newer models of MD have been made as PC/'puter friendly as possible, with drag & drop loading of songs to MD.

The real advantage of MD recording is the concept of cheap removable media that's suitable for archival purposes. The functional advantage is in the convenience of quickly changing media when the disc is full,... (like it's predecessor the cassette tape),... as opposed to many more modern digital recorders that require a PC-dependent dump/backup scheme to archive data. (That's not usually too convenient in the middle of sessions or on remotes).

The other advantage of MD is it's size. It's small, & is a favorite format of legitimate concert-tapers and bootleggers alike. Anything that small is inherently more convenient than something larger. Minidisc is small. "Mini" is in the name.;)

Hi-MD is really the pinnacle of this technology, that now offers "straight" PCM (cd-wav format) recording. If you're considering MD recording this late in the game, I'd by far recommend getting Hi-MD. That's unless you really want a "console" style home deck, which then you'd be best with "original" MD,... as Hi-MD recordables are just the handheld format, not the home-deck style.

I have "original" MD recorders (home decks and walkman-type players), and I'm quite happy with them. They sound fine.;)

Last edited:
I've recently picked up a Yamaha MD8 which utilises MD Data discs (different TOC system to standard MD's), as well as standard MD discs. The MD Data discs allow 4 & 8 track recording, where standard MD's only allow 2 track or mono recording.

Do you know if I could use the new Hi MD discs for multi track recording? Do they have an extended TOC?

The advantage of being able to use Hi MD discs for 4 & 8 track recording is down to the disc capacity (Hi MD hold 1gig?), as MDD's are only capable of storing 140Mb, or 18 minutes of 8 track.

MD uses a process called Magneto-Optical Recording. You can probably find something about on Wikipedia, or other sources on the net.

Back