My MD8 is doing something weird

ralf

I have used my MD8 for years with pretty good results and pretty much no problem. After not using it for about a year and a half I unpacked it again to do some demo-ing of some songs. Everything was working fine.

over a matter of days i recorded drums, bass, and four guitar tracks and it was sounding awesome...until yesterday.

I went down to listen to the song and something didn't sound right. When an instrument is panned in the middle, it is very quiet. When I pan the sounds to the left or right I get an increase in the sound level only and no panning. I then plugged a mic in just to see if it would do the same thing with a new signal, and it did. I am so dumbfounded and have no idea what to do. Has anybody ever experienced this?? or have any idea how i can fix it?

It's weird!

I'm wondering if it's doing this in the phones or monitor speakers?

If it's in the monitors, I'd suspect a phase reversal on one of the cables, thus causing a phase error 'null' when panned center.

My 2¢:eek:;)

i don't have monitors right now, so it is only in the headphones. like i says, one day it sounded great, all panned and loud and everything. next day it sounds like this

ok, i decided to hook up a boombox as some monitors and those work fine, so apparently there is something wrong with the headphone jack. thanks for your help!

:cool:Just something to think about.

I had an MD8. I enjoyed the box. However, it is dated technology; the sound of its final product doesn't even come close to a CD made in a relatively inexpensive multi-tracker. Of course, there are ALL the PC programs also; since I don't use a PC program to record, I'll stop. Each venue has its ups/downs. But, it's the CD quality that is quite amazing these days. Especially, when the cost of a very good digital multitracker is less than 1K.

I won't go into brands as I'm not a salesperson. I'll just say that my former Yamaha MD8 could not even come close to the results I get from the digital multitracker I use today; next year, it will probably be another model but, man, the current results using any of three/four brands, is short of amazing for the amateur home recorder.

If you love music, record yours.

Green Hornet:rolleyes:

Absolutely true! I paid $1300 for my Yamaha MD8 in 1998, had it 6 years, recorded a decent sounding indie CD with it and sold it for $350.00, talk about depreciation! I don't even know where you can buy the discs anymore.

Bought a Fostex VF160 and was absolutley amazed at the difference in sound quality!

Back