newbie needs help! :)

lovedamonalbarn

heyy
i'm really keen on my music and have recently bought my first multitrack recorder...i've got a yamaha md4s
basically i need advice on a few things and i'm hoping theres a few people out there that use the machine :)
how do i transfer my material from data disk...onto cd?
i'm guessing i need a burner?? or master recorder ( i dont know what this really does) any suggestions?
i would like to hook up a keyboard or synth,drum machine, to it...does this use MIDI? what kit do i need??
i would appreiate any info
cheers
jay
p.s anyone recomend a mic? (as mines poor)

You have got me. You are going to need some serious geek help here. The SONY records in ATRAC format, a discontinued proprietary compressed music file format which was a losing competitor to MP3. In general, it can only be played on SONY devices that support it. A completely failed marketing blunder, it was introduced in 2004 and deep-sixed in 2007.

ATRAC is also DRM protected, which is a major league pain in the ass.

There are a lot of software tools for the conversion, but you may have trouble, as the tools are designed to convert ATRAC downloads to MP3 files. Who knows, though? It might work. What the hell? Try this- at least it's free:

http://www.allconvertertools.com/atrac/atrac.html

If that doesn't work, shoot SONY an email. Somebody there will know. The main problem remains that you have a perfectly good machine that records in an *awful* compressed format, and all you can do with it is convert the files to *other* awful compressed formats. Good luck-Richie

Using your Yamaha MD4s, you'll be able to mix and record onto 4 separate tracks on MDD140 data minidiscs using your normal range of instruments and mics thru the onboard analog mixer.

When recording is done, it's time to mix down your 4-track works into a stereo format that's compatible with other players and playable in a common sense, like onto CDr or MP3 format.

There is no way to upload MDD140 data files off the Yamaha and onto any other format. What you need to do is render your mix oboard the MD4s, then use an RCA-to-1/8" stereo Y-cable adapter, & record on the destination device ("master recorder") from the minidisc onto the master recorder.

What you can use for "master recorder" can vary a lot. There was a stereo-only Minidisc deck, which this late in the game I'd recommend to stay away from, because it's such dated technology & specialized/not universal,...[PICTURED BELOW].

The most common thing you'd see would be to use your standard 'puter as master recorder and record thru the onboard soundcard into the "Line In" stereo jack. On the 'puter you'd need suitable recording software, such as "Audacity", which I've heard is a free download.

For mics, your most basic choice might be a Shure SM57, which is not stellar in any category, but is adequate in most uses. Otherwise, there's a host of inexpensive Audio-Technica mics that sport 1/4" plugs which would do a decent job. Others too numerous to mention. There's a whole forum devoted to mics.

Sorry, there's no USB or "easy upload" feature on the Yamaha, tho' I believe it outputs an S/Pdif signal output in stereo,... which was originally scoped to hook to DAT recorders, but would also port to the 'puter if you could find a soundcard that accepts S/Pdif input. However, this is another layer of technical difficulty that could be put off til later, and/or is not essential.

Your best route for mixdown IMO would be the simple Y-adapter cable and recording the mixdown dub to 'puter in real time. Also, a standalone CDr recorder would fit the bill as a destination "master recorder".

In the old days we used to "master" to cassette or sometimes open reel recorders,... & called it a day! Today, you generally want your tunes on a CDr, which is a universal playback medium. Record to WAV files on PC, then burn CDr's & render Mp3's from WAV format.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Sony MDS-JE510.jpg
    1-Sony MDS-JE510.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1-Yamaha MD4s.jpg
    1-Yamaha MD4s.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
cheers guys much help! :)

thanks '' a reel person' and ''richard monroe''
for pointing me in the right directions! :) looks like i have some serious experimenting to do!! :)

Yo,...

You could search brand names like TEAC, TASCAM, Sony, Pioneer, Philips, KLH, Technics, etc.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-TEAC CDRW800.jpg
    1-TEAC CDRW800.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1-Tascam CC-222mkII.jpg
    1-Tascam CC-222mkII.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 1-Sony CD-W500C.jpg
    1-Sony CD-W500C.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
There are no digital outs on the Yamaha MD4s, you only have analog outs. The simplist thing is to master to your computer and burn. You could add a layer of analog tape or whatever inbetween. The yamaha MD4s also has seperate outputs of each of the 4 tracks which you could send to an external mixer if you wanted. You could also sync the MD4s whith your computer via midi whith Tracktion for mixing, therefore the MD4 would control start and stop, but you would need another mastering machine. The MD4 is a bit dated, for around $500 you can get something better new. But it does record all 4 at once, it has pitch control and has its own sound. It depends on what your using if for, on quality sound alone I would probably say no.

Back