Post rock song mix

Jake93

Hello,

Me and a friend have been recording on a very amateur level, I mic'd a kit in a practice room with a fairly cheap 4 mic set, and have recorded all the other elements in my spare office room. It's never going to sound really good, I just want it to be listenable.

Basically, I have left the drums alone mostly and had to heavily compress everything else as the loud synth sound is the main element and takes a lot of space in the mix. Turns out it's really difficult to get this right and I've been driving myself mad, so I'll post it here and I'm prepared for a brutal analysis so please have at it.

Thank you,

Jake

Attachments

• New project 2 (mix 5).mp3
    9.5 MB
Wow ok, the more I listen to these threads the more I feel I've totally missed the mark. So difficult to get a loud noise sounding good.

Mix is not bad. When mixing synths it can helpful to EQ out frequencies that are clashing with other instruments like guitars or the kick. You can also safely hi pass the synth and recover headroom that way

I didn't think it was bad either.

I like the guitar sounds.

The mix gets a little overbearing during the loud sections - where the synths are sounding like a string section. Everything is competing for space in the 400hz - 5K range.

The low end can get muddy in spots - lots of stuff going on down there.

I like the drums - both the sound and the part you played.. Maybe take a little low end out of the snare? Like 6db on everything below 120hz?

I'll be cheeky and borrow your ears for another one, it probably has the same flaws in the ending loud bit after 1 minute. The drums are just EQ, everything else goes to a separate bus which is very compressed in pretty much the exact 400-5khz range you mentioned. I think maybe the snare is too quiet and gets lost in the mix, I'm going for a "space western" thing, and there's no vocal so the synth sort of fills that gap.

Attachments

• Last song (mix 2).mp3
    4.2 MB
Back