R8 - Importing a wav file into a project

SC7

Hi - I cannot find anywhere that conclusively describes how to do the above. The handbook does not mention it and I have trawled the internet. All I want to do is take a wav file and insert it into a project. I cant think of anything simpler to do yet there doesnt seem to be any guidance (if there has I must have overlooked it). Any assistance would be appreciated. If anyone does know then it would also be useful if they could describe how to do this with a stereo wav file as well.

Many thanks

I'm not an R8 user, so I checked out the manual. This is a PDF manual Pages 100-104, the actual hard copy you have may be numbered differently. There are two sections covering this :

Loading Audio Files From Other Projects, and the next section - USB Function Overview (which is mostly the same repeated, but has important notes added).

As usual, this manual doesn't give a straight forward example, but the first section comes pretty close, then add in the bits in the second section not in the first and it looks like a complete procedure, though a fairly long read.

This is the procedure on my HD16. Pretty sure it's the same for the R8. Hope I didn't type any mistakes ;)
Edit: Well the R8 is maybe different, who knows?

1) Connect the R8 to your PC using a USB-Cable.
2) Enter USB-mode
3) On your PC copy the file (must be mono 16-bit 44.1kHz) to HD_USR:\PROJ000\IMPORT (make sure it's the correct project folder)
4) Exit USB-mode and wait for the R8 to scan the disk.
5) Press Select and select the track you want to import the file to.
6) Press down arrow-key so that you see "Track 1-1 No Data" or equivalent.
7) Press Function 5 times to get to Import Menu.
8) Press Enter
9) Press Right arrow and choose Import Folder
10) Use the scroll wheel to select the correct file.
11) Press Enter

Last edited:
Thank you both. It looks like I now have the answer. As per usual however its typical of manufacturers allowing experts to write their manuals without any user input. We are the ones that ask the questions and it's one of the reasons most forums of this nature exist; to pass on information and experiences and to fill in the blanks that exist in the manuals.

A lot of manuals are really good at pointing out all the features and describing every button and knob, but just won't tell us H-O-W to do certain procedures - or any procedures, in some cases. I've read some recently that are little more than a sales brochure describing what it does - period. Just a one page flyer.

Glad you made it :D

Back