recording classical piano?

jojobuck

Hi, has anyone had success recording classical piano? I have a Sharp MS722. Can anyone recommend any recording solutions they've used, which mics, preamp or not, etc. preferably in the price range of $200 to $400. Thanks.

I've done this on a Sony MZ-NF810 with a cheap computer mic. Not the best mic but it got the job done.

Sony sells a several versions of mics that use plug-in power, which were designed to be used on a MD. Cheapest is $99. A friend lent me his, for a flute piano recital. Sound was pretty good. My only complaint was that since it plugged directly into the MD without a cord, some of the MD drive whirrls can be heard on the recording. You could always use an extension cord I guess.

There's also another Sony version somewhere around $130 that allows you to adjust the stereo field width. This one does come with a cord.

Check out the Nady CM-2S Stereo Condenser Mic. I haven't personally used this one, but I do use a pair of their condensers for recording drums and they work great. This one seems to come with everything you need to connect it to your MD recorder. You can look/buy at www.musiciansfriend.com.

Last edited:
Back