Retro synth sounds

Eric V

Inquiring mind wants to know
Are there some good apps or plugins that do a good job simulating older synths such as an ARP Odyssey or a Prophet, an old Moog etc. I love the sounds of those old synths.

Arturia has a lot of old analog synth emulations, including the specific ones that you mention. They sell them individually, or in a bundle, and they bundle a bunch of presets from all of them into the plugin called Analog Lab. If you catch them on sale you can get about a 50% discount on the (rather pricey) collection bundle.

Dexed is a DX-7 emulator. Free. Awesome. Priceless if you were a DX enthusiast.

Roland Cloud has some vsts. D-50, System's, the Jupiter.

The Dexed DX VST amazes me. A GUI for the DX7. Bravo.

Dexed is a DX-7 emulator. Free. Awesome. Priceless if you were a DX enthusiast.

Roland Cloud has some vsts. D-50, System's, the Jupiter.

The Dexed DX VST amazes me. A GUI for the DX7. Bravo.
Thanks Lazer. I used to own a DX-21 which also was FM synthesis-based. Similar pianos at least to my ears back then. And thanks for the ideas.

The Roland System 100 series made old coin op arcade games sounds, and the voice of R2-D2. With the GUI the connections to the modules are drag and drop.

The Promars was cool too.

Here is a short demo of the Roland System 100. First 5 presets. No changes or effects. Pure render.

My records are notoriously poor, but it is close to as it comes raw.

I'm trying out the Dexed app and is there a way to change banks manually? I am not connected to my synth at the moment. I'm having fun with the sounds, like the

LFO Sweep on preset #32. I want to check out that Arturia software Tadpui mentioned as well. I love all these old synth sounds. I used to have a Korg Poly 61M, a Korg 01/W FD, and the Yamaha DX-21. I miss those old keyboards, and I wish I still had the 01/W especially.

That Roland Systems 100 sounds pretty cool, I like it.

Last edited:
If you put the cartridge folder in the cart directory you should be able to click on it.

That Dexed Cart zipped file must have every cartridge ever made.. and programs from keyboard magazine.

Last edited:
Back