Same song on Spotify and Youtube - which is better?

rob aylestone

In aniother topic we were considering what popular platforms do to music. Most of my music is quiet and lacking dynamics, but I did this cover last year and it's got louder bits and quiet bits.

spotify link
Youtube link

They are from the same source - a 48K wav file from Ditto - who I use for covers.
I think the Spotify version has more dynamics - and sounds a bit punchier, but maybe others will disagree. Interesting to hear how the same material is treated.

I guess I'll have to get a Spotify account to do this. I've resisted this long. .

Have you downloaded both versions and compared them to the original for overall volume and calculated LUFS (both int and short term)?

Not yet, I think that’s a sensible thing to do. Maybe if I can align them into two channels it would then be easier to compare. I must admit that Spotify is one subscription I actually feel I get my moneys worth out of.

Man it is really close but I agree the spotify may have a slight bit more clarity...something...but it is nill in the big picture....

Blind test I doubt I could accurately / consistently pick which was which...That'd actually be a cool thing for you to do... not watching.... have someone else play a 5 second part of each several times back n forth and see how well you do at correctly identifying which was which...

One of my favourite Alan Parsons tracks and I was experimenting with synths - I can't put a word to the difference, but Spotify does seem to just be a bit more in your face?

Music streaming platforms can indeed affect how our tracks are perceived by listeners.
On another note, I noticed you mentioned a service for promoting music on Spotify. While it's important to explore different ways to reach audiences, I believe in the power of genuine engagement and connection with listeners.
If you're curious about promoting your music further, here's the link to the service you mentioned: https://streamingfamous.com/buy-spotify-plays/ .
Keep experimenting with your music and sharing your creations—it's all part of the journey! Looking forward to hearing more from you. Let me know if you have any other music insights or stories to share!

Last edited:
Man it is really close but I agree the spotify may have a slight bit more clarity...something...but it is nill in the big picture....

Blind test I doubt I could accurately / consistently pick which was which...That'd actually be a cool thing for you to do... not watching.... have someone else play a 5 second part of each several times back n forth and see how well you do at correctly identifying which was which...
Nugen makes a plugin called AB Assist. It will randomly AB two mixes.

Back