Set up for Spontaneous Recording Takes

Regarding the Stream Deck, I would think cueing a spot for punch in would be very elementary: simple commands for basic transport control and record, so I am at a loss as why that didn’t work for you as long as you can see the DAW display. Punch in should be very easy to accomplish. I would use Stream Deck for that as well as frequently used functions rather than using key combinations in addition to more complex compound operations (termed Multi Actions in Stream Deck).

There are very sophisticated, professional home studio users that leverage Stream Deck. Perhaps I’m missing your point entirely. You’re obviously way more experienced than I and I think your point regarding experience is spot on.

Thanks for the point regarding latency, I’ll have to research that. Sounds like I need to monitor from the interface rather than the DAW. I don’t know, I’m obviously not a recording engineer.

The crux of what I am saying is to do vs "I think". Best we can do is point out potential short comings. After years of running software from CAD to DAW's, I've got a fair bit of muscle memory for command keys and I'll state upfront that it is part of my bias. No matter which way you go, you'll need to learn and memorize.

The issue as I see it with the Streamdeck is one, layout and the two, you'll have to set up pages. Third, you got a limited number of buttons so less direct control options. Then you'll need to recall which command is on what page. Most software has tons of key commands that will do most functions and some DAW's you can configure your own. On a Keyboard, it's on one standard layout and not pages upon pages in the Streamdeck. This is what I didn't like about the Streamdeck. Not only having to recall which page but having to flip through them seemed less efficient that just hitting Command and a key on the keyboard. Maybe you can condense it down better than I did but invariably, you will probably run into similar where a command you want is on a different page.

Your work flow however and not mine, but you asked for experiences and I gave mine. Seems to me you are working too much in the theoretical vs in experience of having done it. You can only plan so far ahead and the outcome will remain unknown till you've acted upon your plans. That is the adventure of it all.

I can't argue with experience and practical use being the guide. Cleary there are different strokes for different folks. Having tactile buttons for transport as well as configuration options for Multi Actions I feel will make my personal workflow more efficient. I appreciate the feedback, you've definitely given me something to think about.

Also, don't confuse recording with mixing. When I am recording, I keep it simple, arm the track or tracks, check my levels and go. Play it back and determine if I need if I need another take, or just do one since I am there and then maybe comp the two takes or get pissed after I review and have to do another take. Once I have my takes, I go back to my computer to work on the song aka, mouse, keyboard and monitor. I spend more time in that mode (editing and mixing) than in recording mode. I would say it is easy a 20:1 ratio. 20 mixing to 1 recording.

When working alone, which most of us do, it is just a pain. If I DI, I record in front of the desk (armless chair). If I am using an amp and micing, I just run a long cord from the guitar and play at the computer. I don't really worry about the noise, but my amp sits about 10 feet away from the computer, and a dynamic mic, so not an issue for me.

I am sure there are some people who have noise issues, but for the most part, I haven't found to have too many issues with noise, especially in a fully loaded song.

I've got a wireless keypad that I simply move over to where I'm recording. The DAW is set up and ready to record, and when I'm ready I hit "R". The mouse stays at the desk. I have various other keypad shortcuts that allow me to do basic stuff whilst not looking at the screen, but once I'm done I turn around and walk two steps to the chair in front of the screen and take it from there. The headphones for monitoring? Three pairs, all at hand; the main recording pair comes from the Soundcraft GB2R, while the main phones are driven by a LittleLabs headphone amp. Noise during recording? Rarely an issue with the door closed to the studio.

Back