Source of MD DATA disks for Yamaha MD8

erre

Can anyone tell me of a source where I can purchase MD DATA disks for my MD8 online please?
I am in the UK

Thank you

Sony

erre said:
Can anyone tell me of a source where I can purchase MD DATA disks for my MD8 online please?
I am in the UK

Thank you

Hi! Check out if SONY has any shops in UK. Otherwise google for Sony MD Data disc 140 mb.
Good luck!
Mattias in Sweden

Sorry,...

no.................:eek:;)
tho' you could try it & only be out a few bucks if it didn't work.
Note: the MD8 can use regular MD's for stereo-only recording, (but needs MD-data discs for multitracking).

Hi hd data disks

Hi Dave & group,
from all i have read--the HI data disk IS a mini data disk that r3ecords a boat load of data and/or music and sells for $5.99here in Fl.:confused::confused::confused::confused:
OK , kindly tell me how much & where do u purchase your dtat disks for your MD8.
PS I still have to dig out my "688"
Thanks for reading me,
Don:)

no.................:eek:;)
tho' you could try it & only be out a few bucks if it didn't work.
Note: the MD8 can use regular MD's for stereo-only recording, (but needs MD-data discs for multitracking).

I'm having 3rd & 4th thoughts about getting this MD8 !!!
Hell, I thought I had a new & XXciting toy to use all those hardly played MD's after the Sony rec/played craped out on my years ago. W/postage & all it might have cost me $100 !!! Hell, I'll hold on to that $100 . . .and find the perfect "mate" for my beloved tascam 688 . . .& we all know who that will be..........
Thank you Lord, I saved another $100 to put towards my "Dream-machine" setup_688 meet your new love.
Mmmmmmmmmm.I need a cold beer then some sleep to dream on......we'll have to chat some more Dave--BTW, I enjoyed your website !!
I'll be back after a beer the off i go to ..........
Don :confused::rolleyes::confused::)

I'll parse these statements:...

dontaylor said:
Hi hd data disks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Dave & group,
Hi.

dontaylor said:
from all i have read--the HI data disk IS a mini data disk that r3ecords a boat load of data and/or music and sells for $5.99here in Fl.
Okay, I'll give you that one, but it's the semantics.

All minidiscs are data discs, as all digital audio is data. The Hi-MD is a large data disc that can indeed be interfaced to your 'puter, as well as record music. Boatloads. Unfortunately, it's not the Data Minidisc 140, (140Mb).

The difference is this: the MDD140 is hard-sectored in the format, as an actual hard disc would be. The standard stereo "minidisc", (60/74/80 min), is a digital medium that is not hard sectored format, but accepts and records a bitstream data, like an "audio" CD vs. a "data" CD are not the same formats.

Hi-MD, on the other hand, is not hard sector format & is very similar to the standard stereo minidisc. The difference in how they squeeze so much data from the Hi-MD is thru the new technology they have that can focus data in layers, thereby boosting the capacity greatly. The difference between a standard minidisc and a Hi-MD is roughly equivalent to the DVD vs. Blu-Ray disc.

Unfortunately, the MDD140 is a very particular thing that MD multitrackers require. I believe MDD140 media is still available from some vendors.

dontaylor said:
OK , kindly tell me how much & where do u purchase your dtat disks for your MD8.
I can't remember where I got them all. Some at Sam Ash, some off eBay, some came with a multitracker. I got a fair amount off eBay, you could say, but I've bought them new also. When I bought them new, they'd usually list for $15, but you could get them on sale for $10 or less. Used off eBay: much less.

dontaylor said:
PS I still have to dig out my "688"
Definitely that.

dontaylor said:
Thanks for reading me,
Always interesting.

dontaylor said:
Hope you'll still online--my GOd 1am already ??!!
Unfortunately not. I had to move on a bit. I shouldn't post from work, anyway.:eek:;)

dontaylor said:
I must be both nutz & addicted to music.
Many people on this site are that, so you're in good company.

dontaylor said:
I'm having 3rd & 4th thoughts about getting this MD8 !!!
Well, it's understandable, but it can be a good unit.

dontaylor said:
Hell, I thought I had a new & XXciting toy to use all those hardly played MD's after the Sony rec/played craped out on my years ago.
Point: the Sony could be fixed or replaced just to get the use of all those MD's, and keep in mind the MD8 will record thru it's mixer section to standard stereo on the standard minidiscs. It's not multitracking, but it's a functional stereo recorder and mixer. The MDD140's are a must for multitracking, though.

dontaylor said:
W/postage & all it might have cost me $100 !!!
If you're talking about the MD8 for $100/delivered, I'd say that's a great deal.

dontaylor said:
Hell, I'll hold on to that $100 . . .
Okay.

dontaylor said:
and find the perfect "mate" for my beloved tascam 688 . . .
The 688 is quite a lot as a standalone unit.

dontaylor said:
& we all know who that will be..........
the 2488?

dontaylor said:
Thank you Lord,
The Lord gave you the wits to figure it out yourself. It's not complicated though. The MD8 is a terrific unit to get at low dollar, media is still available in places, and it was top of the line over 10 years ago. Now there's newer stuff that does a few things slicker, some might have better sound quality or interface to the 'puter, which all modern equipment has to do these days,... but whatever,... It's a hobby, it's music gear. Oh yeah, new stuff is more expensive, but you get a lot in the box. It's not like the newer stuff is always better, as I've alluded to, I think some older equipment does a few things a lot better than most modern equipment, but that's another post. There's the point that e'one like new toys, but there's a point where raw gear lust takes over. It's a matter of perspective & degree.

dontaylor said:
I saved another $100 to put towards my "Dream-machine"
You could look at it that way.

dontaylor said:
setup_688 meet your new love.
The 2488.

Well, you may be bent on getting new gear, but I think the 688 is good kit, right there,... and she's paid for. However, I already told'ya how the 688 could be a terrific front end for the 2488, leveraging the strengths of both units to get the best of both worlds. I have some peeves about what I consider glaring deficiencies of the features and capabilities of the newer digital all-in-one'rs, and the 688 as a front end seems like such a terrific solution. This is not to say the 688 can't stand on it's own, and you would not pass Go, not collect $200,... you could dig it out, plug it in and just record. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing says you need new gear to record. You got it right there.

dontaylor said:
Mmmmmmmmmm.I need a cold beer
Me too, actually. Beer is good.

dontaylor said:
then some sleep to dream on......
Me too. Sleep is good.

dontaylor said:
we'll have to chat some more Dave--
Okay.

dontaylor said:
BTW, I enjoyed your website !!
Thank you. Your site is interesting too.

dontaylor said:
I'll be back after a beer the off i go to ..........
ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................

dontaylor said:
Dave

Last edited:
Back