Tascam 564

DrummerCT

I am trying to resurrect a Tascam 564. I bought it used/refurbed several years ago, and it's sat around now for the last couple of years unused. Now when I put a 140MB disk in, it looks for TOC, then spits the disk out with an error message "Disk Error." I've tried various new disks without success.

I spoke with Tascam support, and it'll be real expensive to repair (as in more than the value the gadget has for me). I have other equipment for recording (e.g., Presonus Firestudio, Presonus Inspire, Tascam FW-1884, Sonar Producer, Cubase and other stuff). My interest here is that I'd like to use this system for some experimental recording without having to fire up one of my computers... Just want something very, very simple to track four channels. If I can get this going, that'd be great, but otherwise, I'll probably ditch the 564.

Is there a way to clean the laser? The Tascam tech thought this might be the problem but was vague at best on how to go about it, as if it were some state secret or such!

You might want to stroll over to www.minidisc.org and ask them how to clean the lens and such there. I'm sure a few of them have had to do that on a machine or two.

If you decide to ditch the MD recorder, you can always go for a Tascam 424mkII or something similar. It's cassette based, but very simple and basic to learn/operate.;)

I have a Tascam 564 that does the "disc error" thing intermittently. Also, playback sometimes drops out and doesn't resume. I'm planning to buy a service manual. For what it's worth, I've tried "cleaning" it with a Maxell MD cleaning disc. I don't think it worked at all. I partially dismantled it and quickly cleaned the lens with isopropyl on a cotton swab (followed by a dry swab). The lens is clean(er) now but the problems remain (not as bad as before the cleaning). I guess I'll sort it out when I get the manual.

I also have a Tascam 488 cassette "8-track" recorder. Something is wrong with the tape transport and it's currently collecting dust (actually, the newsprint that covers it is collecting dust). I got a service manual on the cheap from a seller on eBay. I'll need some tools that I don't have to do it properly so I'm waiting on that. It certainly has a less clinical sound than the 564, which makes it appealing for projects that "need" that sound. If you can get past the 1/4" inputs, it's a very nice machine.

The advanced multitracking functions (and XLR inputs, dual effects send/return, etc.) make the 564 a more desirable machine overall. The only real limitations of MD-Data are the recording duration (<40 minutes) and the fact that you can only record four inputs simultaneously. I'd fix the 564 before investing in a new cassette-based machine if I were you. If you need that "tape sound", you can always master to cassette and digitally record the result.

Your 564 is probably just dirty on the inside. Good luck!

Back