transferring tracks "long distance"

crEEk

I've got a friend with whom I collaborate using an 880. With 6 hours b/t us, it is difficult to find the time to get together. I'm thinking about purchasing an 880 myself, but have no idea what equipment he and I would need to transfer our ideas and then load them on our 880s. Maybe this is a no brainer, but any help would be appreciated.

The long distance problem can be solved with the 880's only if you both get zip expansion ports for the 880 writes to a hard drive. With the zip expansion port connected to the SCSI port you can download the song info shove it in an evelope and your buddy can load it to his recorder in no time. To bad he doesn't have the VS 840 for it has a built in zip drive that makes transfering songs between units a snap!!! A zip drive runs about 150 dollars or less. Good Luck

I was also looking into trying something similar to this. I have the Zip, and have found it frustrating to fit a song onto one Zip disk. I also have a Jaz drive, but I'm afraid to ship one of those fragile disks through the mail or otherwise. I use them as emergency backup in case the CD backup fails, which leads me to my question:

Has anyone tried sharing tracks over long distance with the CD-RW? I'd like to be able to back up to CD-RW, send the disk in the mail and have someone else load into an 880 from this disk. That way I could easily get several songs mailed at once. I wouldn't worry about the CD like the Jaz disk either.

Can a CD backed up on one 880 be restored on a different 880?

And, does anyone know if the new 840EX with the SCSI port can use the CD-RW drive for
backup/restore?

Thanks for any help.

Snapple and Jon-X:

Thanks for the input. I'm glad its possible. Jon-X, you've brought up some interesting questions. I'd like to know about the possibilities with the 840 as well. The only problem might be if I tried to load a song on the 840 that contained more tracks than the 840 could handle. Is that a possible scenario?

If you have an external drive, couldn't you save the song to disk, login to the internet with your computer and transfer the file via ftp, download it to the other 880's external drive and then select it?

I don't have an external hard drive so I'm not sure if a computer can "see" the Roland formatted files but if it can this seems to be a viable way of sharing your song ideas.

Pat

Waaaaiiiiittttttt!!!!! Don't buy a zip drive...I'll explain in a sec. For collaboration, you need to have two of the same SCSI drives. If your going to get zip drives, I would imagin that they would be the same size. The formatt that the VS machines saves in is not compatable with computers to my knowledge...but you can download new software from the net onto your VS machine. Ok, zip drives used to be good, but now a new thing called an OBD Drive(i think thats what it is called) is either out or on its way. Its an SCSI dive that will cost $200. Disks will cost $30 each, but they are big! as in 2.1 Gb. This sounds to me like the ideal drive for VS machines.
Before I leave, a word of caution: IF you get a zip drive, make sure it is SCSI, not paralell ports or one of those which tries to decide which type of ports to use. You may sucessfully save data for a while, but if you use it for updates, your machine will be fried!

There is a discussion re: saving VS Zip files to folders on a PC and then retrieving them at the following web site: www.vsplanet.com under the discussion group:
VS-840(EX) Group under the topic:
SCSI drive list.

If the thread there is correct, it should be easy to ftp the file in binary mode from one pc to another and then down load it.

BTW for Roland VS users, that sight is a good resource.

Pat

Back