Vocal recording - Can you give me an opinion of my recordings?

PikaGate

Hi everyone.. I have a lot of doubts about my vocal recordings.. I don't know if they are good and I don't know at what level they are..

To record I use: Clarett 8+ 8pre and an ART Voice Channel
As a microphone I use Lewitt 940

I record in a room treated with acoustic panels..
I record only vocals, no instruments..

I made a couple of recordings to get an opinion.. I am not a singer so don't judge my performance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have two recordings: the first only with Clarett + Mic, and the second with the ART Voice Channel...

What do you think?
( sorry if I made grammatical mistakes, I am not a native speaker )

Attachments

• Vocal Rec Forum.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
To be honest, they're both OK - I prefer the tone of the Clarrett and mic - not with the ART.
The levels were very low so I had to boost them for listening, but quality wise - I'd not have an issue with them.

Thanks! I don't know why the volume is so low..

To get the volume you hear in the recording WITHOUT the voicechannel, I had to set the knob on the Clarett to 8-9.. that is, almost to the maximum. is that normal?

I put a picture of the Clarett to explain better..

Clarett Gain - Without VoiceChannel.jpg

The snag with all this is that in your DAW you can increase the level, which pretty much just raises the volume without much else. Turning the preamp gain up to the very top section tends to add noise. You need to just get to grips with the gain structure and find the most noise free system. looking at your file - the audio is just very low.

Agreed. The vocal is very plain. The Clarett can be great; I suggest using the AIR function to get a bit of presence.

You didn't mention which pattern you use or which pad or filter on the Lewitt power supply. If you have to crank the gain up to 3'oclock using a tube condenser, you likely have the pad switch on. The sample with the ART is 6db louder and has more presence as if you EQd it on the voice channel or changed the impedance selection.

I agree that the Clarett version sounds better, more natural. Like Rob, I boosted both, the Clarett by 15dB and the ART by 8dB to get them close in volume. The overall volume is low, but I don't think that you would have any problem with noise floor if you simply boosted the track in the DAW.

This was the Clarett vocal with 15dB boost

Attachments

• Vocal Clarett +15dB.mp3
    715.3 KB
Back