want to mix old md4 recordings on md8 (don't have recorder yet)

pseudosun

i want to remix some oldies that i recorded on a yamaha md4. Will everything work when i put the disc into an md8? I know this seems like a silly question, but it's been a while since i used one, and the technical side of music isn't my greatest strength. If i want to add tracks to the 4 track recordings, i guess i'll have to clear out something else right? any info appreciated, i may bid on an md8 right now.

:D Yo Hidden sunshine:]

Suggest you touch base with someone at Yamaha if nobody answers your question.

I have used the MD8 but not the 4 tracker. I don't know if you will get a track read on the 8 from the 4 track disc? But, if you do get a read, you will have to bounce a track to open up one of the "FOUR." OR, you can mix the 4 tracker, burn a CD, copy the CD into you new 8 tracker and you'll have plenty of open tracks to add to your "oldies."

Green Hornet
Still playing golf in Michigan :D

According to the MD8 manual, you should have no trouble mixing or editing your MD4 recordings on an MD8. The MD8 supports both 4 and 8 track recording.

However, if you want to add additional tracks, you will need to re-record your MD4 data to a disc set up to record 8 tracks. Once you start recording in 1, 2, 4, or 8 track mode on the MD8, it is written that way to the TOC. The same goes for the MD4 minus the 8 track mode. This shouldn't be a problem if you still have the MD4. You can use the track outs on the MD4 and bounce all 4 tracks at once to individual tracks on the MD8, just make sure it is set to record 8 tracks. You will need to use 2 8-track formatted discs to store all of the data on a full 4-track formatted disc.

okay, i was thinking/hoping that i could pop it in and add tracks:0 So i really need an md4 and something that can record four tracks at once. After that, i can add tracks. There goes my plans for the tascam dp01, which can only record two tracks at once. If anyone knows of any recorders that record 4 tracks at once, feel free to put it here. preferably, under $1000

Yo PSN:

I'm not sure about this, but you might be able to import your original 4 tracks into WAVE format and then work with them; however, you would have to have a recorder that imports wave files. I can import wave files on my 2816 but have not used that feature too much as I have 16 tracks to work with.

Green Hornet :D

Back