Why is my raw audio tracks recorded from virtual instruments do not sound as good as the STEM raw tracks provided by my instructor for practice?

jerberson12

mucis procedure
Why is my raw audio tracks recorded from virtual instruments do not sound as good as the STEM raw tracks provided by my instructor for practice? Those STEM raw tracks already kinda sound good without plugins and all it needs is a little bit of processing. My recorded tracks from virtual instruments kinda sounds like really really really really dry and if I apply the techniques learnt from mixing, it still sounds bad compare to the STEM audio tracks provided for practice. I have been noticing this for the past 3 years. Seems to be there is that missing link or something that I need to do before mixing tracks.

Those "raw" tracks that was given to me by my instructor to practice seems to be rendered differently. Even without processing, those sound is already bright and lively. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Well - 'virtual instruments' and 'STEM raw tracks' are terms that have no natural quality element attached. I'm thinking in this case, the tracks provided by your teacher might be real instruments, or good samples played by a good musician, recorded musically. Are you comparing this to virtual instruments that are played unmusically, recorded unmusically, and then loaded with treatment?

In the past I have replaced a viola in a string quartet (with a VERY good and competent 1st vioinist), because the viola was played badly and it stood out. I replaced it with a matching sample - A Spitfire one - that was recorded in a similar space. It matched so well that the 1st violinist sent me a message saying her playing wasn't as bad as I'd described - and he was happy with the result. I then sent him what I'd removed.

I've spent quite a while recently on some classical and jazz piano. Replacing what an excellent pianist had done to his recording in Cubase. A bone dry piano sound he'd then softened with crazy reverb. He has two virtual pianos - I have lots. It was a case of finding the one that worked best. I've worked with him for over 30 years - I cannot tell which of his recordings are his real Yamaha, or virtual ones. I can often guess, but it's tough.

Sound on Sound Magazine have a current running series on producing strings - I suspect some of the content is a shock to many, who expect their expensive sample package to sound good as soon as it's installed. Playing notes with one hand, and using two or maybe 3 faders and buttons with the left is pretty hard to learn.

If you want to share a few seconds of each version you have, maybe we can comment specifically on why one sounds better?

Why is my raw audio tracks recorded from virtual instruments do not sound as good as the STEM raw tracks provided by my instructor for practice?
Who can tell ?

However, if there's one thing I've learned about virtual instruments, it's that you have to work a bit to get them sounding authentic and that can take time. Also, and this for me is crucial, it is how it sounds when part of a mix with everything else, that matters. Sometimes, virtual instruments sound so "good" that they don't actually sound real. They stand out above and beyond the instruments that are real. It's the total sound that counts, not the individual elements.
I'd rather play/record a violin part 12 times separately than once with a 12 violin section.

Those "raw" tracks that was given to me by my instructor to practice seems to be rendered differently. Even without processing, those sound is already bright and lively. Any ideas?
They are probably played better - rendered better - and have everything they need - it's not rocket science.

They are probably played better -

I wonder if that's the reason I can play a Maton CGP and still sound nothing like Tommy Emmanuel. Does technique REALLY have effect on the sound? :unsure:

Is the OP coming from a midi file and providing his own virtual instrument, or taking a group of raw audio files, mixing them differently from the instructor and wondering why they don't sound the same. Just take a listen to the various songs posted in the Mix This threads, and hear how 10 different people can make a song sound 10 different ways.

I remember the first time I sat down at a Tascam Model 10 mixing console, with a 4 track tape deck. You start moving faders and twisting knobs and it changes the song completely. The demonstration setup at a local audio shop had a master mix and you were invited to do a mix and see if you could get close to the master. It was shocking to see how hard it was to match the target mix. My mix wasn't close to the original.

Last edited:
I wonder if that's the reason I can play a Maton CGP and still sound nothing like Tommy Emmanuel. Does technique REALLY have effect on the sound? :unsure:
Tremendously -
Is the OP coming from a midi file and providing his own virtual instrument, or taking a group of raw audio files, mixing them differently from the instructor and wondering why they don't sound the same. Just take a listen to the various songs posted in the Mix This threads, and hear how 10 different people can make a song sound 10 different ways.

It's the same thing with a Song - 5 people cover it and one has hit with it - Technique and Style of the Vocal.
I remember the first time I sat down at a Tascam Model 10 mixing console, with a 4 track tape deck. You start moving faders and twisting knobs and it changes the song completely. The demonstration setup at a local audio shop had a master mix and you were invited to do a mix and see if you could get close to the master. It was shocking to see how hard it was to match the target mix. My mix wasn't close to the original.
I've been the opposite - I can hear how tracks were recorded and get a good handle on how it sounded the way it does - doesn't mean I can record them as well - it doesn't mean I can play them as well - but I sure can make them sound like the mix.

I've been the opposite - I can hear how tracks were recorded and get a good handle on how it sounded the way it does - doesn't mean I can record them as well - it doesn't mean I can play them as well - but I sure can make them sound like the mix.
I might have had something to do with the fact that I was about 18 or 19 at the time and had no clue about recording. I've gotten a little better in the past 50 years, but not much! :giggle:

Back