Yamaha MD 4 "Disk Locked" Message

keybdst

Recently, after mastering one of my minidisks - I was unable to eject the mini disk due to a "disc locked" message. Eventually, I erased the songs , made a short recording and executed the TOC write process -- however still unable to eject disk with same message. The record function seems to work fine.

I would welcome any feedback on the source of this problem.

Thank you,

Ive never had the problem with md8, check to see if the toc is being properly executed or something with the door mechanism, otherwise it look like a trip to a qualified repairmen. Sorry Im not more helpful.

Peace,
Dennis

Are you sure it's not just telling you that the write protect tab has been switched over to "protect"

It's been a long time since I looked at mine but that message sounds soooo familiar...

good luck..

Joe

I found this through a Google search.

"Sometimes you can't get the disc out and a `Disc Locked' message appears in the display below. This is nothing to worry about and is easily dealt with. The MD4 simply wants to update the Table of Contents (TOC), the MiniDisc's inventory of songs and markers. If you've made some edits or new recordings on the MD4, then this list or TOC will need to be revised. All you do is press Stop, and it quickly writes in the new info and the disc can then be ejected. You could view this requirement simply as good housekeeping, like rewinding a tape after a session."

Looks like your problem is solved...

Oh and I want $250 USD for doing that very simple search for you;)

Joe Bochek

Recently, after mastering one of my minidisks - I was unable to eject the mini disk due to a "disc locked" message. Eventually, I erased the songs , made a short recording and executed the TOC write process -- however still unable to eject disk with same message. The record function seems to work fine.

I would welcome any feedback on the source of this problem.

Thank you,
I write here because I was able to cure the problem.

I solved this problem by applying silicone oil to the steel plate, motor shaft, and gears to make them on the MD module slide better.

The problem is caused by a malfunctioning Eject lock mechanism in the MD module. The Eject button is supposed to be locked during MD playback, but once playback is finished and the TOC is written, the lock is released.
The unlocking mechanism is driven by a motor and gears on the back of the MD module, which can be seen when the MD4 back cover is opened, and moves a black steel plate behind it up and down to enable or disable the Eject button.
I hope many YAMAHA MD4 users will continue to use it.

I think, YAMAHA MD4, MD4s, MD8 and MD8s use same MD module.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Last edited:
Back