Converting Mixer Unbalanced Direct Outs as balanced line inputs to Audio Interface Analog Mixers

Nice to hear those names like Crane
If his standards are that high, why is he using two Behringer analog consoles? If the Behringer mixers represent the level of expectation and budget, I'd start with the cheapest solution and move up until I found what worked. He already has the active DI thing, but I'd be leaning toward fewer potential points of failure.
its just because I own them for ages and do not have the budget for anything else that you guys have been mentioning. I’m 60 and this is my best. I just need to do it right with what I have and even that needs planning. If that means my standards are high, you are right, they are, it surely my budget does not allow Craneborne and what not. Also when I said, construction stage, what I meant is rebuilding the studio from what I had even earlier.

The support you guys have given me is fantastic and I shall be grateful. So I’ll like to close the topic from my end. You guys may continue as you like.

Best

Bob Ludwig used to swear unbalanced, short-run cables, sounded better, or at least equal to, balanced cables, provided, obviously, there was no interference. I dunno if that's empirical or just his ears talking to him. I'd however tend to trust either side. Arguments about Behringer aside I'd certainly run some unbalanced cables to see what you get. I think, given a decent room, there's a better than 50/50 chance it'll work just fine. Just my opinion and my opinion here is never well received. I'd try it any-who. :)

As far as Behringer, I recently needed to add a line-level mixer to the studio to run lesser critical devices, like CDs. I'm just shy of stunned by how quiet and efficient the mixer is and have recently routed some Roland outboard gear ( a Roland Handsonic and my trusty SR-16) through the mixer. I notice zero difference than going straight into the interface. Maybe this one model is serendipitously good but from that experience, I'd say Behringer is capable of making some pretty decent gear these days. Again, just my opinion, which is a lead balloon around these parts, and of course, your mileage may well vary

Bob Ludwig used to swear unbalanced, short-run cables, sounded better, or at least equal to, balanced cables, provided, obviously, there was no interference. I dunno if that's empirical or just his ears talking to him. I'd however tend to trust either side. Arguments about Behringer aside I'd certainly run some unbalanced cables to see what you get. I think, given a decent room, there's a better than 50/50 chance it'll work just fine. Just my opinion and my opinion here is never well received. I'd try it any-who. :)

As far as Behringer, I recently needed to add a line-level mixer to the studio to run lesser critical devices, like CDs. I'm just shy of stunned by how quiet and efficient the mixer is and have recently routed some Roland outboard gear ( a Roland Handsonic and my trusty SR-16) through the mixer. I notice zero difference than going straight into the interface. Maybe this one model is serendipitously good but from that experience, I'd say Behringer is capable of making some pretty decent gear these days. Again, just my opinion, which is a lead balloon around these parts, and of course, your mileage may well vary
Thanks for your insight.

The room is a small-mid sized one, crammed. So guaranteeing that there would not be electrical or communications interferences is impossible. So more likely than not, I will go Balanced. In the meantime, I’m also having a healthy discussion on the SOS forum where I have been given two suggestions, one being the ART T8 like here and the other being a cable modification, ie, connecting the Ring at the AI end to the ground pin of the TS Jack at the Unbalanced Mixer Direct Out end, and cutting off the screen.

The T8 option is expensive. I’ll need to buy two to suit my studio so that’s out of the window.

The two DI800s seem to be going waste, at least for the intended purpose, as strongly advised on this and other forums, the main drawback being the drop in level by 35 DB, having to boost it to bring it back to Line level.

That leaves me with the cable option and I’ll certainly try with one cable first.

Thanks

In my second post, I alluded to cheaper options. Modified cables is one of those options, an example of which is the suggestion from SOS. Google "Rane Note 110" for comprehensive guidance on that subject.

Bob Ludwig used to swear unbalanced, short-run cables, sounded better, or at least equal to, balanced cables, provided, obviously, there was no interference. I dunno if that's empirical or just his ears talking to him.
That is because the equipment Bob dealt with was better at receiving a hot unbalanced connection with DC offsets.

I’m using Behringer U-Phoria 1820 and Presonus Studio 1824c, one with each PC. The third uses an E-EMU 1212M PCI based DAS with Sync Daughtercard and breakout box. The fourth PC uses WaMi Rack 192X and the Mia 2496. All legacy stuff.
Here is a solution that will work for you. Which is adding the load point of the output circuit the interfaces are designed to accept, but you have to build it:

Screenshot_2024-05-21_10-22-29.jpg

The circuit I posted in #26 is what is missing between any analog source and a converter. It allows you to drive the analog source into the operating range of it so its signal to noise is high, then you can bring it in at the normal tracking amplitude.

I figured I would post this because a lot of people can benefit from this circuit. Even though its tuned for 4380 op amps the mixer has for its outputs with the lowest noise floor.

Back