Record computer audio and instrument at the same time

will9313

Hi,

I have a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2gen and I would like to know if it is possible to record the PC audio on reaper while recording an instrument like a backing track.

I think if the audio is already on the PC, then you just put it on a track.

Could you be a bit more descriptive? Not sure if you are over complicating something or I am not understanding the issue.

I think if the audio is already on the PC, then you just put it on a track.

Could you be a bit more descriptive? Not sure if you are over complicating something or I am not understanding the issue.
Yeah I have the PC audio playing over when I am recording using the 2i2, but I would also like to record the PC audio on a track together with the instrument. So I would have 1 track recording the instrument and other recording the PC audio. I have read that newer audio interfaces have something called Loopback that allows you to add the PC audio as a track and I would like to know if there is an alternative for my 2i2 2gen. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have the PC audio playing over when I am recording using the 2i2, but I would also like to record the PC audio on a track together with the instrument. So I would have 1 track recording the instrument and other recording the PC audio. I have read that newer audio interfaces have something called Loopback that allows you to add the PC audio as a track and I would like to know if there is an alternative for my 2i2 2gen. Thanks for the reply.
Typically most would just import the backing track into the DAW. The exceptions, I would imagine would be if the track were from a streaming service like Spotify or a Karaoke stream where you'd have the lyrics on screen while the track played.

So, let's say you don't have the backing track as a file, and it is just a backing track from Spotify. Probably the best way would be to use what is called the "analog hole" provided you can play the track and still have audio go to Reaper at the same time. I had to find a setting in my Mac to allow me to use a piano VST while doing lessons on the browser. The way this works is to just feed the outputs of the interface back into the inputs. Set up record without monitoring and play the track while recording. Now you've captured a stereo track of the backing track and can then add to your hearts delight. Is this something akin to what you had in mind?

Yes, I would like to directly record from Spotify or other applications. But let me see if I understood what you said, I would have to have a cable on the two outs and then insert it on like the input 2 while having my bass plugged into the input 1 and then I would have a track for each input to record it. Is that it?
Typically most would just import the backing track into the DAW. The exceptions, I would imagine would be if the track were from a streaming service like Spotify or a Karaoke stream where you'd have the lyrics on screen while the track played.

So, let's say you don't have the backing track as a file, and it is just a backing track from Spotify. Probably the best way would be to use what is called the "analog hole" provided you can play the track and still have audio go to Reaper at the same time. I had to find a setting in my Mac to allow me to use a piano VST while doing lessons on the browser. The way this works is to just feed the outputs of the interface back into the inputs. Set up record without monitoring and play the track while recording. Now you've captured a stereo track of the backing track and can then add to your hearts delight. Is this something akin to what you had in mind?
Yes, I would like to directly record from Spotify or other applications like a web site with backing tracks. But let me see if I understood what you said, I would have to have a cable on the two outs and then insert it on like the input 2 while having my bass plugged into the input 1 and then I would have a track for each input to record it. Is that it?

Yes, I would like to directly record from Spotify or other applications. But let me see if I understood what you said, I would have to have a cable on the two outs and then insert it on like the input 2 while having my bass plugged into the input 1 and then I would have a track for each input to record it. Is that it?

Yes, I would like to directly record from Spotify or other applications like a web site with backing tracks. But let me see if I understood what you said, I would have to have a cable on the two outs and then insert it on like the input 2 while having my bass plugged into the input 1 and then I would have a track for each input to record it. Is that it?
It's been forever since I've had to do something like this and not being a Reaper user, I had to dig a bit. I found this video which gives you an alternative method of recording in Windows anyway. Only a dumb guess on my part in figuring out what you are trying to do.

Record Streaming Audio in Reaper

Let me know if this helped. Otherwise, you can always do the loopback old school by plugging the outputs back into the inputs.

I shall check that Reaper link in a mo' but this function, recording any sound in the PC was fine until win 10, certainly W7 could do it. There are various workarounds but if you have a laptop like my Lenovo T510 you can't use them because this machine does not have an internal audio 'input' save the internal mic.

However, you can do this with Audacity so just record the track in that, export as a .wav and stuff it into Reaper. Or! Buy a MOTU M 2 or 4!

Dave.

It's been forever since I've had to do something like this and not being a Reaper user, I had to dig a bit. I found this video which gives you an alternative method of recording in Windows anyway. Only a dumb guess on my part in figuring out what you are trying to do.

Record Streaming Audio in Reaper

Let me know if this helped. Otherwise, you can always do the loopback old school by plugging the outputs back into the inputs.
I will try this but from what I have seen it does not allow to record both the PC audio and the interface simultaneously. Either way thanks for the help.

I will try this but from what I have seen it does not allow to record both the PC audio and the interface simultaneously. Either way thanks for the help.
I'm not sure what your issue with recording the backing track first and then adding bass after. Why to you need to do both all at once?

I'm not sure what your issue with recording the backing track first and then adding bass after. Why to you need to do both all at once?
No problem, I just thought there was a workaround for this case. But I will use this method of recording the backing track and then record myself playing. Thanks for the help.

Back