What do I need in a new computer?

Nature'sChild

I'm thinking I'll need several USB ports as well as other different input types. I'm using Audacity, and right now my laptop is a super-cheapy with no CD drive and only two USB inputs. I suppose I could use an external CD drive, but isn't that another connection that can cause noise problems? I don't know what "gaming" computer strengths are. I need a "music recording" computer! What specific things should I be looking for in a new computer?

1st question: Are you tied to PC or Mac? A use Mac MIni M1 can handle audio perfectly well. I've seen 8GB/512 units used on Craigslist for $500.

Next Question: Do you want a laptop or a desktop?

Most desktops today have multiple USB ports, and are expandable. You can add an additional hard drive and some come with optical drives. I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre 5i Desktop PC. 12th or 13th gen I5 processor, 12GB, 512SSD. I added 16GB more RAM and another 1TB SSD. It was $500 on sale, plus about $120 for the 2nd drive and extra memory. It's got 7 USB inputs and CD/DVD. That's about the same cost as an 8 bit Atari 800XL and floppy drive cost in the early 80s! A gaming computer generally includes a LOT of money on a big power supply and video card, which aren't really needed for audio. The on-board video processor on I5 and I7 processors are easily enough for running a DAW. 16 to 32GB is a nice spot for memory, especially if you run lots of virtual instruments. If you're just recording a couple of mics, say .. voice and guitar, you can get by with 8GB. Make sure you have an SSD, not a spinner.

Laptops are not going to be as expandable and won't have as many outputs. You can, of course, get a USB hub for about $30 to handle keyboard/mouse and CD burner. Many of the newer ones are not able to have an extra hard drive or memory added. The mobile processors often run at a lower base speed vs desktops. Still, most modern systems are very capable of handling audio recording. If you need to keep costs down, you can look at something like an HP Elitebook 840 G5. You can get a refurbished unit for under $350. Make sure you get at least an 8th generation processor, so you can upgrade to Win 11 without issue.

I prefer a desktop machine for recording, but I've mixed down on my laptop without any issues. I have my interface on my desktop machine, and my larger monitors are connected to the interface. I always check things on my monitors and make adjustments based on that system.

I'm thinking I'll need several USB ports as well as other different input types. I'm using Audacity, and right now my laptop is a super-cheapy with no CD drive and only two USB inputs. I suppose I could use an external CD drive, but isn't that another connection that can cause noise problems? I don't know what "gaming" computer strengths are. I need a "music recording" computer! What specific things should I be looking for in a new computer?
Welcome to HR.

First off I would wish to ask what your intentions and goals are? The stating of using 'Audacity' leads me to think you may only be doing some audio editing or basic recordings?

Welcome and please stick around, we get SO few ladies on forums! As Rich says, we need to know if you are looking for a laptop or desktop (tower) PC* Laptops can be very variable in their suitability for music production and unless you can afford something known to be tested for the purpose you can come unstuck.

On the other hand a DT PC is a bit of a pain to get started with. You need a keyboard and mouse and a monitor (but that could be a S/H 22" TV run from an HDMI cable) But as said, towers give you the capability to upgrade and swap out stuff. A CD/DVD drive for example is easy to fit. Don't worry about diving inside the case. Turn it off of course but there are no 'retained' high voltages. Just don't open up the power supply case!

The other thing you are going to need is an Audio Interface but that is something we cannot even begin to discuss until we know what you intend to do musicwise? Just vocals? Guitar? Guitar AND vocals? Electric guitar? Through an amplifier? Keyboard? Piano? Just you or might freinds come in and 'jam'?

*I do not mention macs because I know them not!

Dave.

Thanks, folks! I sure appreciate your help! You've given me some useful and specific information. Here are my answers to your questions: TalismanRich, I use a PC, not a Mac. I've decided to go with a desktop rather than a laptop for the reasons you've mentioned. I don't need portability at this point. I do like the idea of being able to expand and change. (I've heard that USB hubs for laptops cause latency issues. Does that sound familiar?) That said, right now I have a cheap notebook, so that's what I'll use, but I want a desktop dedicated to recording when I can do that. Trackrat, "Lots of RAM and decent storage" sounds like good advice. Are you saying you use each computer you have until it blows up (won't boot) before buying a new one? How old is your current one? Jimmys69, My intentions and goals (always a wise place to start) are pretty simple--almost minimalist. Audacity is free and as far as I understand it, capable of accomplishing what I'm trying to do. When I perform, I use amplification so that I can be heard, but I try to keep things as natural and acoustic as I can. Your phrase, "doing some audio editing or basic recording" is a good description for my purposes. I want to record multiple tracks of myself playing my instruments in my arrangements and compositions. I plan to begin with basic guitar and vocal tracks to make some simpler recordings. Some of my instruments are difficult to mic well, but I'll cross each bridge when I get to it. My goal is a clean, rich sound that feels natural (not overprocessed).

Welcome and please stick around, we get SO few ladies on forums! As Rich says, we need to know if you are looking for a laptop or desktop (tower) PC* Laptops can be very variable in their suitability for music production and unless you can afford something known to be tested for the purpose you can come unstuck.

On the other hand a DT PC is a bit of a pain to get started with. You need a keyboard and mouse and a monitor (but that could be a S/H 22" TV run from an HDMI cable) But as said, towers give you the capability to upgrade and swap out stuff. A CD/DVD drive for example is easy to fit. Don't worry about diving inside the case. Turn it off of course but there are no 'retained' high voltages. Just don't open up the power supply case!

The other thing you are going to need is an Audio Interface but that is something we cannot even begin to discuss until we know what you intend to do musicwise? Just vocals? Guitar? Guitar AND vocals? Electric guitar? Through an amplifier? Keyboard? Piano? Just you or might freinds come in and 'jam'?

*I do not mention macs because I know them not!

Dave.
Hi, Dave. I have a tiny little Beringer USB interface that I use to connect an old Tascam four-track cassette recorder for its built-in eight-channel mixer to my notebook computer. I use the tape deck's inputs for microphones or line-in instrument cables, then route its output through the interface to a USB port on my notebook. I also have a Blue Yeti mic that has a USB cable for both power and signal transmission. (The Yeti can't plug into the tape deck because of its USB connector.) I love the idea of sending my file to a friend to add a track, or having friends "come in and jam"!

Ah! That I bet is the Behringer UCA 202? Not to be despised! It is easily good enough for tape dubbing (and viny)

Now, I KNOW I shall get endless flack for this but seeing what you have so for I will suggest you get a small mixer. You will want 4 mic inputs but after that it does not need to be anything special, folks like Behringer, Yamaha make excellent ones and you can often find them in S/H shops and on The Bay.
Such a mixer will allow the use of microphones with 'proper' XLR balanced connectors and those that need "phantom power" . Up to 4 mics can then be mixed down to 2 tracks for the 202 to send to a computer. When the time comes to get an interface the mixer will still be useful.

How do you listen to your recording?

I don't know Garage Band but there are very few people in this game that do not recommend Reaper as THE best all round recording software (called a DAW) Reaper is free to try for effectively ever (but do buy it at some point!) has a very low hit on your computer's power and has a vast, very knowledgeable community to help you. BLOODY good DAW as well!...You see I am sure you are going to find Audacity a limitation quite soon.

Dave.

Back