Assuming we have musicians in this OT forum tell some history or stories and beginnings

Getting exposed to Led Zeppelin II when I was about 10-11. That changed me. My interest in surfing would start to wane at that point. And my record collection would begin to grow. Playing amplified with other people started in high school. First band playing originals anywhere that would have us came at about age 23. That was an incredibly fun time and full of growth, musically speaking.

I think it was later that same year my father took me and my older brothers to see Jerry Lee Lewis in a local highschool auditorium. There were some of his records around the house I would occasionally spin, the Sun label. I think at that time, The Killer, his ways had caught up to him, in today's parlance he was at the time on what might be considered the canceled list, playing smaller gigs such as that highschool auditorium. There he was, Jerry Lee, The Killer, at times low key, at others kicking the stool out with the back of his knees while rising to stand, banging away on that piano. Even played with his foot sometimes, ain't he somethin'. Opening for Jerry Lee was another piano player, grey haired guy. Ain't that nice, I thought, Jerry Lee let's his daddy play first. It wasn't his daddy, it was "The Grey Fox", Charlie Rich.

I was a dumb kid. Heh.

Actually I started at about 5 when a juke box wound up on my front porch in 1957 and i could play anything on it for free. I would sing along for hours. By ten in 62, i was playing drums and bugle in the town marching band. Received my first drum set at ten. My first guitar at 12 in 1964, the rest is history, nefarious though it may be.

Grew up on the Beatles. First acoustic guitar at 15. First concert was Styx opening for Blue Oyster Cult in 1977. I've been playing guitar ever since, plus I added keyboards in 1984. Im 62 now.

1978. Omaha Nebraska. I don't remember the opener. Mom remembered they were really loud. Judas Priest would fit the bill. 🤘

I worshiped kiss back then. Mom met the piano tech I guess at the restaurant she managed. He gave her free tickets.

I can still remember the smell...
I fact checked myself. It was Oct 8th,1979 Dynasty tour. John Cougar & The Zone opened. I remember now my mom saying that Kiss was good but the opener was too loud. - Guess he was a bit heavier pre-Pink Houses days? LOL

My "uncle" by marriage I did not know well, well, at all really. At the time, probably at age 7 or 8, I knew he got hurt while "in the army". At that age of simplistic thinking, in that time where every kid played with little green plastic army men, all military was pretty much "the army". The reality of the matter I later came to understand, he was a Marine, wounded in Vietnam. Shot. As wounds go, not seriously, I reckon. He survived, for whatever reason their marriage did not. Anyway, not well, but I knew who he was, could recognize him. I found myself at some outdoor gathering, picnic, party, whatever it was, can't even remember how I got there. There was a stage there, guys playing music, guitars, drums, pretty cool. I'd seen before in real life people playing music, but I think before then not the whole kit and caboodle, drums and everything. They began to play, hey, look, there's Gary! Hang On Sloopy! I know that song! Wow, Gary, I know that guy, a guy on the radio. Gary, on the radio, famous. I was already a broomstick guitarist, caught some grief one time from my older brothers for rather than play football in the backyard hanging in the sunroom and singing my heart out to Sweet Caroline into a hair brush, sweet young thing down the block Caroline. But back to Gary, wow, a guy I know, Gary, on the radio, and right there in front of me in a field behind someone's house playing their famous song from the radio, Hang On Sloopy. Normal guy, my "uncle", on the radio. How cool is that. I wanna do that. Trade in my broomstick for a guitar, maybe I could do that? How cool would that be.
Now THAT is a cool as fuck story 🤟🤟 Funny because that inspirational band down the street from me played Hang In Sloopy in their set list. Small world

Grew up on the Beatles. First acoustic guitar at 15. First concert was Styx opening for Blue Oyster Cult in 1977. I've been playing guitar ever since, plus I added keyboards in 1984. Im 62 now.
Beatles was always in my dad’s collection…and Eagles and Fleetwood Mac
1978. Omaha Nebraska. I don't remember the opener. Mom remembered they were really loud. Judas Priest would fit the bill. 🤘

I worshiped kiss back then. Mom met the piano tech I guess at the restaurant she managed. He gave her free tickets.

I can still remember the smell...
Too fucking cool! Haters complain about KISS as a gimmick. Yeah they were creative in marketing. But first album especially, the Rick N Roll over , Destroyer, even Dynasty…they were a song writing rock n roll band. period. And they wrote GREAT rock n roll songs. Period. 🤟

Beatles was always in my dad’s collection…and Eagles and Fleetwood Mac

Too fucking cool! Haters complain about KISS as a gimmick. Yeah they were creative in marketing. But first album especially, the Rick N Roll over , Destroyer, even Dynasty…they were a song writing rock n roll band. period. And they wrote GREAT rock n roll songs. Period. 🤟
Ha! I have also recorded 4 or 5 albums for an original band, that the main guy also does a quite good/entertaining KISS tribute band. KISSm. Very similar to Stanley voice. Micheal Morrow & The Culprits is the original side of his soul. Two on vinyl even. Google it. 8-)

I have no story.
I have no story because I have no past. And the present becomes the past in a supersonic nanosecond. Therefore, all I have is the future. And I have no idea what that holds
:D

I wanted to play sax but mom wanted me to play guitar like her brother who was very good, so, she bought me a guitar. I only met my uncle twice. He was a jazz guitarist who studied under Tony Motolla. The first time I met him was about six months after I started. He asked me to show him what I knew. I was proud to show him some Cream etc, chord progressions. Three chorders. Then he played for me and I really didn't get it at the time. The second time I saw him was after playing for about seventeen years. I visited him in his home in rural Pa. in the middle of nowhere. They could have done nuclear tests there and no one would have noticed. He wasn't able to play anymore due to arthritis. He asked me to play for him and he says, "I see you have been practicing" lol. I wound up buying saxes and have fun making noise on them and also picked up some keyboard skills. The greatest challenge has been the pedal steel guitar. Of course I made all this up for street cred.

Similar story, but different...

As a kid, probably around 5-6, we went to some kind of horse show or something, I can't really even remember what it was, it just involved horses. I'd never really been around horses, horses are cool. As an aside, mankind owes a lot to horses, played a large part in progress and development. This kid played music, can't remember if there were drums, if so wasn't a main feature. Country music, kind of a swing, steel guitar pretty prominent. Older than me, but he was just a kid, kid voice, cowboy hat, a sort of a rhinestone suit, maybe 9-10, maybe 11. Imagine a young Michael Jackson singing country, that kind of kid voice. Sort of a local kid, but had a pretty damn good backing band. They were selling a record, so my mom bought one. Sort of a swing, but mature type lyrics for a kid, heartbreak type stuff. Strange Isn't It, on one side, The Flip Side of My Heart on the other..."You cheated me, and treated me, just like I was dirt(verse)...The flipside of my heart, belongs to someone new(chorus). The kid was pretty damn good, had a lot of potential.

Fast forward, I was probably around 18-19, I somehow started jamming on the side with these guys from out West, Oregon. Temp transplants, linemen or something. They were alright, but the truth of the matter I went over there mostly because they always had really good herb. Really good. Albert also had a lot stuff on VHS tape, cool music we would watch, some i'd never really been exposed to. I did have a John McLaughlin & the Mahavishnu Orchestra or whatever album I was given by someone, can't remember who, but that kind of stuff. Expanded my horizons a bit, watching that stuff, learning some of it. Man, we would get stoned as shit, big sacks of skunk weed. One night I went over there and Albert says, "Yeah, we have another guy coming over tonight, Stewart Mitchell." Me was like, Stewart Mitchell?...I recognized that name. Oh fuck, I'm stoned as shit, and I'm going to meet and play music with Stewart Mitchell, that kid i've had the 45 since I was a kid? Man, I was nervous. He arrives, I'm a bit shaky, but everything went pretty good, he playing a G&L, me on my Strat. He was really sharey, lol. He'd sing a verse, nod to me to sing the next, harmonies, he'd take take a lead break, nod to me for the next. Had a lot of fun. First and only time I met him. I think he had a lot of problems, mostly alcohol.

About a year later in a bar I ended up talking with a guy I knew of but didn't really know well, also a musician. Didn't really travel in the same circles. Cool guy, low key, Rocky. I was talking about how the drummer in my (rock) band,..well I guess it was really the drummer's band, a guy everyone knew..he was urging me a lot to, I don't know, put on more of a show, get in the audience's face. "Man, if I was a guitar player I'd...", that sort of thing. Rocky was like, "Nah man, I wouldn't worry about that, just play." As the conversation progressed he mentioned Stewart Mitchell, things he had said about me. "Me? He mentioned me? I only got to meet and play with him once." Told Rocky about that 45. Rocky says, "He knows talent when he sees it." Wow, I was humbled. Rocky was a damn good musician himself, but Stewart Mitchell mentioned me, from one jam session while I was absolutely stoned out of my gourd?

Truth of the matter, I wasn't really happy with the (rock) band I was in, partly the song list. I guess we have all gone through that, feeling a bit like an imposter, a poser, keep smiling, pretending like you're enjoying what you're doing. But the important thing is, I reckon, just keep playing.

I don't know, boring story I guess. But true.

Last edited:
^^ Albert also had a reel to reel. There are probably maybe some tapes of us wasted stoned out there somewhere. Me name dropping, he might even be here in this forum! Embarrassing, me at 18 doing my best effort John McLaughlin, maybe even Stewart and I.

You out there, Albert? Don't do it! :D

As a young boy, I got interested in the few early Beatles singles we had. Playing them over and over on the 'radiogram', while jotting down the words.
We went on a lot of cruises, when I was young, and I enjoyed watching all the dance bands and musicians.
We flew to Majorca for a week, and I blew all my holiday money on a guitar. It all went downhill from there.

I wanted to be a Rock n Roll Star - So inviting, so-o-o enticing to play the part.

Yeah it's all Bowie's fault. And Freddie. Saw Queen at 15. Blue Oyster Cult at 17. I had a Secret Treaty. Couldn't play a fuckin lick but I could sing along.

Did I tell you about the time I met Frank Zappa?

Ok, I'll continue with my short life version:

After I saw KISS at 8 yrs old, I begged mom for a Hondo Destroyer. Got it. After a few years I still sucked at guitar and met a guy who played bass and that took over my muse. Guess it was time to be Gene and not Paul... lol

I started playing Iron Maiden records from top to bottom. Quite well I will say. Friends nicknamed me Jimmy Harris. Was 16 by then. My friends had a shitty band called 'Chicks With Dicks'. They wouldn't let me in the band because I was too good and my hair was too short. A fucking blessing actually. They were so Poison like. Ugh.

So I joined a cover band with musicians in their 30's. Mind you I just got my drivers license. That didn't last very long.

From there an original act stole me. That band was so close to being signed. Barry Fey was managing us. Headlined tons of local gigs and got layed way too much for a bass player. Performed at mid size theater and club gigs opening for everyone from Pantera, Fates Warning, COC, Nuclear Assault, Doro Pesh, Savatage, Flotsom, Bullet Boys, Extreme, Lynch Mob, to one wonderful gig at Mile High Stadium. Rocky Mountain Jam 2 with REO Speedwagon, Damn Yankees, Kings X. Yeah we played at noon, but wow! Oh, and I conceived my 30 year old daughter that evening. Rock N Roll! :love: :drunk:

So when the recording contract fell through, we split up and I changed instruments to drums. From then I hooked up with a local DJ and formed another original band. With the use of the DJ's connections, I played many other really large venues opening for Kid Rock, POD, Suicidal Tendencies, and oh yeah, Firefall. One of them fuckers stole my Rok n Sok drum throne!

After that got old hearing from others that I was just in the band to play big shows (DUH!), I started some other more personal projects playing drums or bass.

Life went on, got older, and became more of a daddy. Now I record other peoples broken dreams. LOL

Actually tonight I am jamming with the remaining 'living' members of the band that played Mile High Stadium. Just for fun. No intentions other than maybe a glory days gig.

Life goes on for a wannabe washed up rock star. LOL! I'm happy though. :-)

I wanted to be a Rock n Roll Star - So inviting, so-o-o enticing to play the part.

Yeah it's all Bowie's fault. And Freddie. Saw Queen at 15. Blue Oyster Cult at 17. I had a Secret Treaty. Couldn't play a fuckin lick but I could sing along.

Did I tell you about the time I met Frank Zappa?

Ok, I'll continue with my short life version:

After I saw KISS at 8 yrs old, I begged mom for a Hondo Destroyer. Got it. After a few years I still sucked at guitar and met a guy who played bass and that took over my muse. Guess it was time to be Gene and not Paul... lol

I started playing Iron Maiden records from top to bottom. Quite well I will say. Friends nicknamed me Jimmy Harris. Was 16 by then. My friends had a shitty band called 'Chicks With Dicks'. They wouldn't let me in the band because I was too good and my hair was too short. A fucking blessing actually. They were so Poison like. Ugh.

So I joined a cover band with musicians in their 30's. Mind you I just got my drivers license. That didn't last very long.

From there an original act stole me. That band was so close to being signed. Barry Fey was managing us. Headlined tons of local gigs and got layed way too much for a bass player. Performed at mid size theater and club gigs opening for everyone from Pantera, Fates Warning, COC, Nuclear Assault, Doro Pesh, Savatage, Flotsom, Bullet Boys, Extreme, Lynch Mob, to one wonderful gig at Mile High Stadium. Rocky Mountain Jam 2 with REO Speedwagon, Damn Yankees, Kings X. Yeah we played at noon, but wow! Oh, and I conceived my 30 year old daughter that evening. Rock N Roll! :love: :drunk:

So when the recording contract fell through, we split up and I changed instruments to drums. From then I hooked up with a local DJ and formed another original band. With the use of the DJ's connections, I played many other really large venues opening for Kid Rock, POD, Suicidal Tendencies, and oh yeah, Firefall. One of them fuckers stole my Rok n Sok drum throne!

After that got old hearing from others that I was just in the band to play big shows (DUH!), I started some other more personal projects playing drums or bass.

Life went on, got older, and became more of a daddy. Now I record other peoples broken dreams. LOL

Actually tonight I am jamming with the remaining 'living' members of the band that played Mile High Stadium. Just for fun. No intentions other than maybe a glory days gig.

Life goes on for a wannabe washed up rock star. LOL! I'm happy though. :-)
Outstanding story. Thanx for sharing!

Back