HELP !!!! Unsure about a few Mixer Terms

The Greater God

Theres some mixer terms that I need help with, and I read my book "Modern Recording Techniques" but it didn't help. The mixer in question I'm thinking about is the SoundCraft M12
but these terms are pretty universal, so here are the questions:

1) When a mixer says it has 12 mono inputs, 4 stero inputs, are the stero inputs seperate from the 12 mono inputs ?

2) What are stero returns ? What do they do ?

3) What are aux returns ?

4) Lets say I had an effect like reverb, but only want it on channels 1-4, how do I accomplish this ?

Thank you

I'll take these one at a time.
No. If a mixer says 12 mono with 4 stereo channels, that translates to 4 channels with mic pre amps that also have a line level input each and 4 channels with no mic pre's that can accept a stereo or mono line input. If you plug a mono input to these channels, it behaves like any mono channel with a pan pot.
A stereo return is just that, a stereo return. If you send a signal to an effects processor that has a stereo output, this is where you btring it back to the mixer. Usually a modern mixer might have 6 aux sends and 4 stereo returns or some configuration like that.
Aux returns are mono versions of stereo returns. If your board didn't have stereo returns and you wanted to bring a stereo effects processor back into the mixer, and you had two aux returns, this is ONE of the ways to get it back in. You could also use two mixer channels and pan them left and right. If you had two effects devices you wanted to get back into the mixer, you could recover them in mono in aux return 1 and aux return 2 etc.
To add effects to an individual channel or any combination there of, mixers will have a pot labeled either effect send or aux send 1,2,3, etc that is used to send signal from just that channel to the master aux send corresponding to that pot for routing to an effects device which in turn is brought back to the board by, you guessed it, an aux return or a stereo return. These aux sends can also be used as monitor sends to either feed stage monitors or headphone amps. See?

1) When a mixer says it has 12 mono inputs, 4 stero inputs, are the stero inputs seperate from the 12 mono inputs ?
A: Yes. The 12 mono inputs are most likely XLR (mic) inputs with a gain control while the 4 stereo inputs are most likely 1/4" jacks without a gain pot, controlled in pairs by single channels. These work well for things like synth modules or drum machines.

2) What are stero returns ? What do they do ?
A: These are the 1/4 " jacks that will carry the signal back from an effects unit. Hence the name "return" They are often structured in stereo pairs because a lot of processors operate in stereo. You send the signal out by the "Aux Send" to the input on your FX unit and then "Out" of your FX unit to the "Stereo returns" on your mixer.

3) What are aux returns?
A: Same thing different name.

4) Lets say I had an effect like reverb, but only want it on channels 1-4, how do I accomplish this ?
A: Hook up your reverb unit through the aux send / return paths as described above on let's say "aux send 1". Crank the "Mix function on your reverb unit all the way "wet". Then all you do is turn up the aux send control on only the channels you desire reverb on. Turn up the "Aux Return" control until you have an acceptable overall level. Then you can adjust the relative amount of reverb on each instrument by adjusting the "Aux 1" control pot.

Hope this helps.

I stand corrected on one item. I based my answer on a Mackie 1202 and its clones in which case my statement would be accurate. I went to Soundcrafts site and looked at the M12 and it does indeed have 12 mic pre's on the 12 mono channels. My mistake.

Justplaindarin

Welcome to the BBS! Great answers. Multi part questions take me back to school. Whewww!!! Mind If I call You JPD??
Later

F.S.

Back