If you're a homereccer, where in home do you record?

In what room do you record?

• Bedroom (with lots of fabric)

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Bedroom (with lots of hard, reflective surfaces)

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Bathroom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Basement (dead sounding)

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Basement (live sounding)

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • other. Please specify in post

Votes: 31 27.9%

• Total voters

Speeddemon

I'm recording myself in my bedroom, the attic. Carpet on the floor, and curtains on one wall. A pretty dead lowmiddy sound. I don't like it that much.

In my Party/studio room. When I'm doing serious recording I would prefer "the deader the better". I don't want a bunch of echo's ringing in the walls. Maybe I'm wrong but, I would think it's maybe in the way your recording. I sure you'll get a response from someone more knowledgable.

Bedroom with fabric it is. 3 out of 4 walls are currently covered with both cardboard and blankets to deaden the room a bit. Also have a rug down on the hardwood floor- which I can pull up if I want to.

Not the greatest sound, but with careful mic placement it works OK for me. I don't really have a choice, though, so I just have to work with it.

Seems like room improvement is the second largest black hole into which money could be thrown. :D Gear lust is the most common, but man is sound proofing/room treatment stuff pricey!

Take care,
Chris

I record in my basement. A little 12x12 room with no treatment. Still I don't get too much reverb from the room in my recordings. So I say it's dead. It deffinately is the micing that determines the amount of room noise I get. With my Crown PZM it sounds like a really crappy room. With all my other mics placed correctly, my recordings are bone dry.

Outside Of The Box

Im in the spare bedroom.....its a pretty dead room with carpet and curtains, which really doesnt matter cause i do guitars, bass, and keys direct and Fruity Loop drums.....pretty sterile recordings, but i only do quick demos....vocals are in the closet.....

I'm using my living room .... actually I sleep in my living room, maybe I should have chosen that answer .... I cook my food in my living room ..... I'm recording in the kitchen :p
my room is with wooden floor, the walls are made of plaster ( can one say that ??? ) u know .. thin walls you have to use special plugs if you wanna hang anything heavier than a poster on 'em, behind these thin walls are a layer of rock wool and then the outer wall, a good thing is I have the top apartment in a building with a roof like this /\, and I think the architect was on dope - all the walls are in different angles - it's pretty dead.
bizz

My house has a former garage, that was walled in by the previous owner. 500 square feet, all for studio....at least until it hails, then my harley gets to sleep in the studio.

In my last house, the studio was taking over everything except the kitchen and master bedroom. When I bought the house I'm in now, I also bought the lot next door and put up a 2300 sq.ft. building so the studio wouldn't take over the house.

Scott

Where?

I record in a room in my condo that is upstairs. It might have been a second bedroom; however, I put only recording gear in there.

It is carpeted but that hasn't been any big problem.

It seems my space shrinks monthly; more cassettes; more CDR's; more cables; more gear; more labels; more, more, more.

But, it's my little recording spot at home and works quite well.

Green Hornet:D :D :p :p :cool: :cool:

My studio resides in what used to be the living room. Walled off one end to make the control room,built a bass trap in the ceiling and it keeps threatining to take over more of the house every day.There are mic cables running through the ceiling to the bathroom and bedroom so I can use them too when I need to.My wife is real great about all this or I would be in a world of hurt!

I record in my basement, which looks like your average full of crap basement. Since I mostly record direct (guitar through my POD, bass through my ART Dual MP, and a Boss drum machine) the liveliness doesn't really matter. I'll occasionally throw in some acoustic guitar and vocals and I just let the livlieness of the room be my signature sound for better or worse - mostly worse. :rolleyes:

My house used to have an open floor plan on the first floor. What was the living room is now combination control room and grand piano. I put up a wall with a large window between that and the "dining room", which is now the drum room. For vocal "booth" or other isolation needs, I've got a stage snake which goes up to the third floor attic/loft that I can plug mics and a headphone amp into.

So far, the second floor has stayed non-studio.

A bedroom but it is also my stereo listening room so all the walls are covered to ceiling high with records ( vinyl ) so it's pretty damn dead. I have about a 6' by 8' area I can actually move aroung in.......kinda cramped.

My studio space is in the basement. It's a dead room.If I need a more live sound I run a snake up to my sun room which is more reflective with a high ceiling.

The former "dining room".

Yeah who needs 'em. I took a more indirect route. Moved the Living room in the the so-called "dining" room. Moved my wife's art supplies,etc out of the attic to create an art studio in the former living room. Suddenly, Mwahahahahaha, attic is all mine for a music studio! I try to deaden the sound with empty bottles of various Belgian Ales.

-Barry

I have a laptop setup that I have fallen in love with and use in unexpected ways. I almost never use my desktop. I can bring it into any room in the house and record anything.

Most of my gear lives in a walk in closet. I live in a 1 Bdrm NYC apt, so space is very tight. I use the closet for working on sounds, practicing, etc. The sound used to be great but since I;ve rearranged to fit everything I get all sorts of unpleasent overtones and rattles.

I have been using the living room mostly, a 22 x 10 room with hardwood floors. If I need to crank an amp I face it towards the back of the couch and surround it with cushions and cover with a down comforter.

I use the bedroom at times when the wife is home and in the kitchen or living room, and/or if working with midi, a keyboard, or smaller amps.

Have used the bathroom for vocals, want to try it on guitar, but hard to fit an amp in there.

the laptop thing is great.

I record in the study next to the computer. The room has a bookcase, a futon, and a La-Z-Boy as "sound treatments". The room has an 11-foot ceiling (as do the adjacent rooms), and is on the live side. Even more live (with slightly delayed 'verb) if the doors are open to the adjacent rooms. If I didn't live on the second floor of a three-apt. house I'd get to play with the room sound more. The dining room-living room is one large room with a high ceiling and I haven't even gotten to try that out yet.

I record in my Basement... I hate it.... I like windows and sunlight, it's so dark, cold and depressing there.... it's totally finished with proper ceilings and ceramic floors, but it's still a basement.

Im actually thinking of building a studio out beside the pool as an addition to the house.. It's an inground, and I think that would be cool to wander out of the studio and dive in....

I would love some sort of room with a glass ceiling, and lots of neat subfloors.....

I like the Idea of having lots of different levels... One step up to the control area, and a step down to the guitar area, another step down to the live floor, and the vocal booth is about 6 steps up, on the side of a wall.....

Oh, and one wall would be a waterfall.... and of course I would be able to shut it off, for those live off the floor takes... (most of my stuff is direct and I wouldn't need to shut it off most the time..

Not a loud waterfall.. just slight twinkle in the background...

But, knowing me, I will just suffer in the basement... too lazy to do anything like the above.

I've got a room in the basement thats carpeted. It's about the size of an average bedroom. I can record in peace down there, and it doesn't disrupt the rest of the house if I feel inspired at mid nite. Electric guitars, bass, and drum machine get recorded direct. Piano gets recorded in the living room, as I can't get it down the basement steps!;)

Twist

Back