Neumann TLM 103 Yes/No?

GOODLAND

This sounds like the best mic for under $1000. Anyone own it? What do you think? Planning on making a purchase in near future.

Don't own it, but if I were checking out mics in that pricerange, I'd be more inclined to look at the AT4060 and the Soundelux U195.

Best?

Best for what? I'm not sayin it isn't a great mic, but it really depends on the source. The AKG414 and BLUE blueberry/mouse are also good ones for around that price, as well as five dozen others. The one you'll see the most in the commercial studios is probably a pair of 414s. They are a great multipattern that are fairly versitile...just my two cents. Happy mic hunting, oh, by and by, what pre are you pairing it with?

scrubs said:
Don't own it, but if I were checking out mics in that pricerange, I'd be more inclined to look at the AT4060 and the Soundelux U195.

I know the guy who did the voice overs for movie ads like "Signs", and other big
hit movies and he uses the Neumann TLM 103. I just wanted a second opinion at
BBS. I'm not too big on Audio Technica but the Soundelux U195 looks OK. Anyone else?

Blue Groove said:
Best for what? I'm not sayin it isn't a great mic, but it really depends on the source. The AKG414 and BLUE blueberry/mouse are also good ones for around that price, as well as five dozen others. The one you'll see the most in the commercial studios is probably a pair of 414s. They are a great multipattern that are feirly versitile...just my two cents. Happy mic hunting, oh, by and by, what pre are you pairing it with?

For Vocals.
Maybe the Grace 101 for the pre.

I owned a pair of them (note the past tense).

They're not terrible, but they're nothing special at all. The AT is a much better mic for a lot less money.

tnjazz said:
I owned a pair of them (note the past tense).

They're not terrible, but they're nothing special at all. The AT is a much better mic for a lot less money.

Price is not an issue here. I just want quality.

okay...

The Blueberry isn't good for everyone, but the TLM would be a safe bet, mostly because if you have Neumanns on your list of mics more people will respond. I added a U87 to mine as well as Avalon/Manley/api/and Neve pres and I'm always booked.

seriously, check out the c414's. they are great all around mics. i use them on acoustic guitar, drums, bass cabinets, piano, electric guitar (in omni is amazing), and vocals. buy a c414 and a tlm103, take them home and try them out...since money isnt an issue. then take the one you like the least back and exchange it.

foreverain4 said:
seriously, check out the c414's. they are great all around mics. i use them on acoustic guitar, drums, bass cabinets, piano, electric guitar (in omni is amazing), and vocals. buy a c414 and a tlm103, take them home and try them out...since money isnt an issue. then take the one you like the least back and exchange it.

The C414 looks nice. I like the switchable polar patterns. I've seen this mic around alot of studios.

GOODLAND said:
Price is not an issue here. I just want quality.

Then you want to get multiple good mics. No one mic will sound the best on everyone. You can get a good general pupose mic like the AT4050, but again, it will sound good on some, great on others. If you want great on everything, you need to build a stable of mics. Mics are like colors and asking which mic is best is like asking which color is best. Black strawberries and oranges are bad. Black Porsches are cool. Dig? I could name 25 quality vocal mics without breaking a sweat in about 45 seconds. I could name another 50 or so given a few minutes to think.

Then, if you are simply doing voice over work and are not concerned about how the vocals sit in a mix... maybe an SM7 would work as a good general purpose mic.

Soundelux U195
Gefell M930
Audio Technica 4050 or 4060

The only AKG I would recommend is an original C12 (hey, you said price isn't an issue!) On that note, add the Telefunken ELAM 251 to the list.

GOODLAND said:
Ok, lets try to keep it under $1500.00

Then just ignore my last sentence. Good advice has been given though. You'll need more than one mic, as no single mic sounds good on every voice.

Back