This is my Digital Hell: Where did I go wrong??

Trippalot

Hello. To anyone who wants to post a reply: I just took out a loan about six months ago for thousands of dollars worth of equipment including a PC, Roland VS880 digital recorder, blah blah blah blah. It is now two weeks before my demos are due and the only thing that's been eating up my time is "this is not compatable", "that is not compatable", "you need another sound card", "your sample rates don't match", "what about your bit depth ratio", etc. . . In other words, I spent all this cash on all this equipment and have hardly any music tracks laid down because of all the technical bullshit. All I want to do is have some good overall tracks to burn to a CD on a PCfor some demos. So where did I go wrong??? Should I have gone analog???

I'm an "Digitanalog" man myself.
I record mostly to 2 Adats and burn to c/d.
My computer is loaded with Cakewalk Pro 9
of which i barely use (as I'm still learning
'bout PC based recording and CWPro9).I have done some half-ass decent recordings using
Cool Edit and other free downloads but sometimes I forsake the use of the PC to
just to be able to mix some tracks with my
"Anal-gear".But I am continuing my education with PC based recording and hopefully by
summer's-end I should have enuff' knowledge to use my PC. I have a belief that it's good to know both worlds!

Yeah skweeks,but they use tape!
Which is why I am a participant of the
"Digitanalog World"

[This message has been edited by MISTERQCUE (edited 08-01-2000).]

The computer recording chaos that you describe, is why I suggested this topic for the BBS. I am not opposed to digital...I have a hard disk recorder and an ADAT..Both digital.
It is my oppinion that the learning curve for computer recording is too steep.... mabye someday the manufacturers will get it together and make "plug and play" a reality!

My suggestion is to use your Roland to get the best demo that you can...Forget the computer... use it for email!

To Mixdown; You can buy a Phillips Audio CD recorder for less than $400.00. You simply plug in two RCA cables from your Roland and press record!

This works great for me. If your roland has an optical output, you can keep it digital.

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trippalot:
Hello. To anyone who wants to post a reply: I just took out a loan about six months ago for thousands of dollars worth of equipment including a PC, Roland VS880 digital recorder, blah blah blah blah. It is now two weeks before my demos are due and the only thing that's been eating up my time is "this is not compatable", "that is not compatable", "you need another sound card", "your sample rates don't match", "what about your bit depth ratio", etc. . . In other words, I spent all this cash on all this equipment and have hardly any music tracks laid down because of all the technical bullshit. All I want to do is have some good overall tracks to burn to a CD on a PCfor some demos. So where did I go wrong??? Should I have gone analog???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, why not do ALL of your recording on the Roland VS880, and just send a stero mix to the PC?

I went with the Tascam DA-38's, for the sole reason that I sill like the idea of recording on Tape. I'm just now getting into putting stuff on the PC for editing.

Tim

Well, I was sending the tracks to Cakewalk in realtime to free up space on the VS880 for other tracks. Then I could edit each track individually on CW and transfer to CD. Took me two months to figure out that either the Cakewalk software is bad or my Compaq Presario PC doesn't like it. Keep sending the suggestions; I'm listening.

You want a suggestion throw that friggin Cakewalk crap away and grab a copy of Logic Audio it is so easy to use, if you just use your noggin. "It is my oppinion that the learning curve for computer recording is too steep.... mabye someday the manufacturers will get it together and make "plug and play" a reality!" Man if you think puter recordings learning curve is steep, I think that damn roland is harder to use than any computer. Oh and whats wrong with PC recording people? Upgrading is a snap and if your smart about it you wont lose much money if any. Look you can pick up a fast P-III for under 200 bucks and 128megs of PC-100 RAM is only like 109.00 you can rock the puter with that! Just get a good soundcard and you are good to go. I would be willing to put my recordings done on Laylas up against anything any analog or digital Tape has done. PC recording is the way, it is the future, dont fight the machine.

P.S. You can pick up a used Layla on EBay anywhere from 300 to 400 bucks and bam you have 8 +4 Balanced ins and 10 Balanced outs. Sweet Jesu& the world is a happy place.

http://www.mp3.com/codyyoung
http://www.codyyoung.com

I can't seem to understand how some of you guys think you can go out and spend a heap on gear and suddenly you are a recording engineer - if you'd gone analogue you'd be here asking another set of questions and be equally frustrated - I'm sorry - recording is an Art, A Skill, A Science, and A Passion and it takes years to learn. :cool:

I dont believe any of us have tons of money to throw at equipment, and I for one would never call myself a recording
engineer. We do have to start somewhere though and that somewhere could be here. With analogue we would probably have fewer questions since most of us grew up with it. For
petes sake I cant get a good acoustic guitar sound no matter
what I seem to do and I know its me and not the gear so no
matter how much money I throw at it besides hiring someone
like you John, is not going to make much of a difference.

I agree with the experience thing; and that's why this forum was created, and all the feedback is making an amazing difference which will keep me learning and hopefully save some of those "years" of experience by using the experiences of other generous people. Thanx.

Tripp

What is a PC anyway?

Ok here is the problem as I see it.

Most of us look at a PC. (Personal computer) and
see it as a unit. A "machine", a "tool" a "device" etc.

It is not any one of these! It is a contraption and a conglomeration of circuit boards, little motors, ribbon cables, plugs jacks etc. A SYSTEM

You can assemble a PC. with different mother boards,sound cards, Hard drives, floppys, CD drives, all this crazy hard ware and cables to crap out! No two systems are alike!

Now this is not to mention SOFTWARE>>> and all the incompatable features! Put this mess together and you have days, weeks and even years of upgrades and replacements. You have a learning curve and many choices.

This time is time wasted... Not making music!

Dom Franco

LOL ok

You must have a really hard time wiping your own ass then. Ya know with all the diff ways to do it and which paper to use. Its ok to be stupid just dont assume everyone else is.

I have had none of those problems and you have just as many choices with Analog equip as PC. Man wake up your statment sounded like my grandpa talking about a CD player or programing his VCR so much easier to just load in a Reel..

Shakes, could you come and wipe my ass for me, I am having
a hard time and need someone with a large intellect to help me.

Doesnt take a large intellect to wipe your ass or do PC recording. Look point is people analog has alot of problems as well and upkeep is a hell of a lot more. I did not mean to say anyone is stupid, I directed what I said to someone who made a stupid comment about PC recording.

My question to Trippalot is, why use the PC at all? Just record with the VS-880...they're not too complicted. Then find someone with a CD burner who'll make you some CD's for a little bit of cash and you will have your demos. Years ago I bought a 4-track cassette recorder and found that I disliked recording and found it really frustrating. Now I bought nice, complicated gear and I love it and am very productive. Bottom line-you have to have a persistence and a certain mindset to make this stuff work. The key word being "work".

"Bottom line-you have to have a persistence and a certain mindset to make this stuff work. The key word being "work""

AMEN to that!

Back