Whats the deal with the Valveking?

Alright, I've been pretty comitted to the Peavey Classic 30. I sold my half stack yesterday, and now I've got the cash. But it seems to be out of stock everywhere near me. I called GC and the guy said he had some comprable amps: a Fender model which I didn't like as much as the 30 and a Valveking. I haven't played the Valveking yet, but plan to try it out when I have a chance. My question, if anyone can help me, is why is it so cheap? It seems to have more features, including a knob that switches between or blends class A and A/B tone. The 212 sells for the same as the 112 classic 30, and it is supposed to be more versatile. I love the Jazz and Blues tones I get out of the classic 30, but the valveking seems to offer that and a Heavey rock sound too. Anyone know what's up with this?

I haven't heard much about these, but the Windsor is an unimpressive lump of shit from what I've heard and read.

I haven't heard much about these, but the Windsor is an unimpressive lump of shit from what I've heard and read.

Agreed.
The Classic 30 is just incredible to my ears, and you'll find good reviews of it almost anywhere. It has incredible clean for Jazz and a great Blues and Classic rock sound when pushed. It supposedly takes pedals really well too though I've yet to try it, but if I can get decent Metal tones from a Valveking and not compromise the clean or medium distortion I'm thinking I should go that route instead of buying an OD pedal for the Classic 30.

my friend has the valveking. the amp itself sounds great but the speakers kinda suck. replace with a couple of v30s and your in business.

my friend has the valveking. the amp itself sounds great but the speakers kinda suck. replace with a couple of v30s and your in business.

Thanks for the advice, I just can't figure out why it is so much cheaper while having more features than the classic 30. only thing I can figure is it uses either cheaper parts, or is incapable of producing sounds comprable to the Classic 30 I love. Guess I'll just have to test it out.

absolutely. maybe try taking the valveking head and testing it with a mesa 212 with v30s. they will probably let you at gc. that will let you know how it will sound.

Thanks for the advice, I just can't figure out why it is so much cheaper while having more features than the classic 30. only thing I can figure is it uses either cheaper parts, or is incapable of producing sounds comprable to the Classic 30 I love. Guess I'll just have to test it out.

The Valveking is cheaper because it sounds like total dog crap. Go try one out you'll see. The peavey classic series amps are a million times better. You may also want to check out the Carvin X100B. It's got a clean channel to die for and the distortion is killer. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/group.php?cid=86

I don't know about C30s, but the VKs are Chinese. As nice as the features are on the VK, you should remember that the C30 has almost 20 years of success under its belt, with an even longer history considering the development of previous Classic-like amps by Peavey in the 70s and 80s. It's a little tank.

The Valveking is cheaper because it sounds like total dog crap. Go try one out you'll see. The peavey classic series amps are a million times better. You may also want to check out the Carvin X100B. It's got a clean channel to die for and the distortion is killer. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/group.php?cid=86

is the x212 the same thing only in a combo? I'm trying to stay away from a halfstack this time around:
1. because I'm going to college
2. I could never crank my last one good enough to get a good tone (well, that and it was a crate, lol)
3. price.

Thanks for the info. I'll still try the Valveking out, but if it can't compare to the classic then no way.
Basically what I'm asking for is next to impossible:
1. Amazing clean for Jazz.
2. Amazing tube distortion for Blues and Classic rock.
3. Decent Metal or Hard rock distortion.
The Classic 30 doesnt quite do number 3, but I figure with a pedal I can do anything.

is the x212 the same thing only in a combo? I'm trying to stay away from a halfstack this time around:
2. I could never crank my last one good enough to get a good tone (well, that and it was a crate, lol)
3. price.

Thanks for the info. I'll still try the Valveking out, but if it can't compare to the classic then no way.
The Classic 30 doesnt quite do number 3, but I figure with a pedal I can do anything.

Yes the X212B is the same as the head only in combo form. It has a 25/50/100 watt switch so it gets a great tone at lower volume. It will do jazz , blues and classic rock. It won't do death metal but it does the Van Halen brown sound to a T.

I don't own a classic 30,but I've heard enough of them to know I'd sure like to have one.Maybe you should hold out for one.

I don't own a classic 30,but I've heard enough of them to know I'd sure like to have one.Maybe you should hold out for one.

I prolly will. I think I have a buddy with a Valveking, I might play his and let him show me some decent settings on it just in case, but it would have to really blow me away.

Yes the X212B is the same as the head only in combo form. It has a 25/50/100 watt switch so it gets a great tone at lower volume. It will do jazz , blues and classic rock. It won't do death metal but it does the Van Halen brown sound to a T.

I'm not necessarily looking for Death Metal. Just want the option of some heavier tones if I need them. The 25/50/100 option is a great (wish all amps had it) so I really want to try this thing out now. I just gotta find a Carvin dealer. Anyone know if GC sells Carvin or where I could try one? I'm ninety percent sure GC doesnt deal with them.
James

I'm not necessarily looking for Death Metal. Just want the option of some heavier tones if I need them. The 25/50/100 option is a great (wish all amps had it) so I really want to try this thing out now. I just gotta find a Carvin dealer. Anyone know if GC sells Carvin or where I could try one? I'm ninety percent sure GC doesnt deal with them.
James

If I'm not mistaken Carvin is a factory direct outlet and in Cali...

here ya go, right from the website.......At Carvin, "Factory Direct" means exactly what it has meant since 1946 – Better Features, Service, and Value. By eliminating distributors and retailers, we are able to put the savings right back into higher quality products – with lower prices to you.
Carvin value is evident in the high level of materials, workmanship, and quality control maintained at our San Diego, CA. Factory

here ya go, right from the website.......At Carvin, "Factory Direct" means exactly what it has meant since 1946 – Better Features, Service, and Value. By eliminating distributors and retailers, we are able to put the savings right back into higher quality products – with lower prices to you.
Carvin value is evident in the high level of materials, workmanship, and quality control maintained at our San Diego, CA. Factory

Thanks, I just checked there myself, unfortunately for me that means I won't be able to try out the amp, and I can't bring myself to order it blindly (though it is very tempting). If anyone lives in Indiana and has one I can sample let me know!
James

Thanks, I just checked there myself, unfortunately for me that means I won't be able to try out the amp, and I can't bring myself to order it blindly (though it is very tempting). If anyone lives in Indiana and has one I can sample let me know!
James

Where in Indiana do you live?

3. price.

With those criteria, you might want to take a look at the Traynor Custom Valve series. I play the YCV80, but the YCV20 and YCV40 are both good smaller amps in the series. Their price has skyrocketed since I bought mine so they're not quite the bargain that they were 4 or 5 years ago. I bought my YCV80 for $545 brand new from Musician's Friend a few years ago. Now they're going for $959 brand new!

I've always described my amp with pretty similar terms as you want. Good cleans (mine has expander and brightness switches), great crunch, good boost channel, and it takes pedals extremely well. I've fallen in love with my tone now that I use a TS9 Tube Screamer with all-neutral settings plus relatively low preamp gain settings on my amp. Crank the master up to 7 or 8, send it through a HotPlate, and I'm a happy camper.

Anyways, its another amp to try and see if its up your alley.

With those criteria, you might want to take a look at the Traynor Custom Valve series. I play the YCV80, but the YCV20 and YCV40 are both good smaller amps in the series. Their price has skyrocketed since I bought mine so they're not quite the bargain that they were 4 or 5 years ago. I bought my YCV80 for $545 brand new from Musician's Friend a few years ago. Now they're going for $959 brand new!

I've always described my amp with pretty similar terms as you want. Good cleans (mine has expander and brightness switches), great crunch, good boost channel, and it takes pedals extremely well. I've fallen in love with my tone now that I use a TS9 Tube Screamer with all-neutral settings plus relatively low preamp gain settings on my amp. Crank the master up to 7 or 8, send it through a HotPlate, and I'm a happy camper.

Anyways, its another amp to try and see if its up your alley.

The Peavey Classic series is the only Peavey I would buy the rest of them suck .. I should know because I own at least six of them now and have owed over a dozen of them over the years.
You can't go wrong with a Traynor. I own a YCVwr40 and I love the thing. When you upgrade the power tubes it really shines.

Back