MXL 990 - What do you think?

I am currently using the MXL 990 and I actually enjoy the sound for vocals. I have not used it for instruments tho. Here is a sample song recorded using that very mic.

-Savoy-

A recent issue of Future Music (a great magazine out of the UK) just reviewed the 990. They were very impressed, saying it was worth much more than the asking price (which in the UK is a bit higher than in the US).

I use the Ultragain Pro Ada8000 for the pre. From there a light pipe into an EMU 1212m soundcard. Here is the same singer with the same mic. This song has more of a dynamic range.

-Savoy-

sexydevil said:
Have any of you used the MXL 990? If yes, what do you think of it?
The MXL990 uses the same capsule as the MXL603S... but IMO, unlike the 603S, the MXL990 sucks.

DJL said:
The MXL990 uses the same capsule as the MXL603S... but IMO, unlike the 603S, the MXL990 sucks.

I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with DJL.

I think this mic isn't worth the box it comes in, but then again I think I got a shitty one. This mp3 doesn't sound half bad. The one I got sounds like a couple tin can's strung together by string...pissed me off when I got it, so I'm making it my point to alert other people of it's crappyness. From what I can tell though, some people seemed to get ones that didn't suck as bad as mine, which tells me their quality control sucks. So, buyer beware! you may get a good one, and you might get one that sounds like a shitty cell phone.

Over and out!
Tait
http://www.roberttait.com

Robertt8 said:
I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with DJL.

I think this mic isn't worth the box it comes in, but then again I think I got a shitty one. This mp3 doesn't sound half bad. The one I got sounds like a couple tin can's strung together by string...pissed me off when I got it, so I'm making it my point to alert other people of it's crappyness. From what I can tell though, some people seemed to get ones that didn't suck as bad as mine, which tells me their quality control sucks. So, buyer beware! you may get a good one, and you might get one that sounds like a shitty cell phone.

Over and out!
Tait
http://www.roberttait.com

I think it really depends on the voice, and the song. In one recent test, I did, the 990 was prefered by the singer, over a Neumann TLM103, an Earthworks SR-71, and an AEA R84. Does that mean it's a better mic than either of those other mics?

Actually, yes - for that one particular singer, on that one particular song, it was better.

Different voices, and different songs, will often require different mics.

Ever wonder why the big studios have so many mics? Now, you know.

Harvey...I don't disagree with you...I'm just saying MY 990 sucks. I tried it on a bunch off stuff and it sounds wrong. I mean I think there's something wrong with it. I'm just saying that it sounds like I got bad one, so i'm assuming their quality control blows.

I have used the 990 and I like it. A littel birghter than the V67G but still decent body for my purposes.

Doubt I'd use it on my wifes voice as it is too bright, but on a choir (tenors/Altos) it shuld work well. will followup soon with details. Maybe even some rappers.

Bryan Giles

pdlstl said:
um...

it's a...

um...

it's a large diaphram mic.

It has a 20mm, 6micron diaphram. I wouldn't call that a large diaphram.

Don't be fooled by the body shape.

Blessings, Terry

I stand corrected. :D

But you have to admit it is, at least, a microphone. :D

And I actually own one. It was one of those days when I felt like I just needed to buy something. Anything! So, I bought it.

I use strictly for when friends want to borrow a mic. As a matter of fact, it's out on loan right now!

Cheers,

Earl

You pay 70 bucks for this mic and get sound worth 70 bucks. Marshall should stick to guitar amps.

Hey Harvey,

What kind of voice and what kind of song was it? Just curious as to what it might be inclined to be good for, generally speaking?

hmmm MXL mics

Hi people,

This is my first post on here. The MXL990 was my very first large diaphragm mic, now I have 4!

I run a small 24 track location recording business in UK and have tried to build up my mic stock from various budget models before stocking up on the big boys like Neuman and AKG.

Ive used the 990 for several different recordings - brass bands, as overheads on jazz kits, as stereo pairs at the back of the venue and even on my girlfriend's vocals for an "etheral gladiator style" track. Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to say im "impressed" with the results, I have found them perfectly adequate as a multi purpose mic with no major tonal gripes (apart from the fact that they are rather bright sounding). For £75 each I found them great for building up my mic stock (which mainly consists of Rodes - I swear by the NT1A)

Looking back I wish I'd had the time to save for some more NT1As instead but at the price the MXLs are currently selling for they provide people starting to build up their mic stock with an adequate solution.

Such a bitter guy. LOL. Oh well these cheap chinese mics that sound decent keep my pockets full and my clients happy. guess in the end that is all that matters. :)

Back