MXL 990 - What do you think?

giles117 said:
Such a bitter guy. LOL. Oh well these cheap chinese mics that sound decent keep my pockets full and my clients happy. guess in the end that is all that matters. :)
Well, if thinking a cheap Chinese made budget mic like the Marshall MXL990 sucks means I'm bitter... then so be it.

I guess we all need to be consistently reminded that tools are tools. A cheap screwdriver may not be the best tool to unscrew a highly torqued screw, but it works with a screw screwed into plastic. Every TOOL has it's place. And ultimately that is what matters... that we can properly utilize the tool. So inexpensive and expensive are poor assumptions for a device's effectiveness.

I mean, really, would you use a 250K Bentley to deliver newpapers or would you use a 30K van for the job??? Just because the Bentley costs more than the van makes the van of no less worth than the Bentley. It just makes it the right tool for the right job.

Heck my wifes voice stinks on a 251 and a U49 and a U47 and aM149, but sounds great on a BLUE Dragonfly and respectable on a MXL V67G

So do I toss out the V67G?? No, I utilize it properly. I have a vocalist in my studio right now that I prefer her vocal on the V67G and not the more expensive mics.

Peace...

giles117 said:
Oh well these cheap chinese mics that sound decent keep my pockets full and my clients happy. guess in the end that is all that matters. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself!

giles117 said:
I guess we all need to be consistently reminded that tools are tools. A cheap screwdriver may not be the best tool to unscrew a highly torqued screw, but it works with a screw screwed into plastic. Every TOOL has it's place. And ultimately that is what matters... that we can properly utilize the tool. So inexpensive and expensive are poor assumptions for a device's effectiveness.

I mean, really, would you use a 250K Bentley to deliver newpapers or would you use a 30K van for the job??? Just because the Bentley costs more than the van makes the van of no less worth than the Bentley. It just makes it the right tool for the right job.

Heck my wifes voice stinks on a 251 and a U49 and a U47 and aM149, but sounds great on a BLUE Dragonfly and respectable on a MXL V67G

So do I toss out the V67G?? No, I utilize it properly. I have a vocalist in my studio right now that I prefer her vocal on the V67G and not the more expensive mics.

Peace...

Hey man, seriously, don't waste the energy on DJL. She's miserable and always forgets where she is. For example, this site is called "HOME RECORDING", which has a different connotation than "pro recording" or "semi-pro recording" do. So, DJL, in her bitterness, is here sniping and complaining about the tools which are aimed at the average home studio budget, conveniently forgetting that as the market size increases the price of the tools used will lower while their quantity increases.

Now, if you were to observe DJL, or take a look at her posts over the past year and half, you will note serious psychological issues that this person seems to be trying to resolve here. Aside from the sheer number of post DJL has for a year and half old account (which indicates someone who is less inclined to interact with the immediate, real and tangible world around them), the vitriol, assumptions, prejudices, irrationality, and utter unreasonableness of her words, and indeed "actions" (as much as actions can be inferred on a message board; ie. number of posts, what threads they post in and the content of those posts, etc.) here indicate a very upset personality and a psyche which is in dire need of professional help.

I would not take DJL's posts seriously, at most I would pity her.

Yeah I have read DJL's post over the weeks. I actually placed my post not for his/her benefit but for the benefit of the prosumers who could have been mislead by his/her meaningless gibber jabber.

toorglick said:
this site is called "HOME RECORDING", which has a different connotation than "pro recording" or "semi-pro recording" do.

Yea guys. Can't you read the damn sign? :D This is HOMErecording.com. God Dangitall.

Humm, so toorglick when did "HOME RECORDING" start meaning "ONLY cheap crap"? Come on kids... sexydevil asked what we thought of the Marshall Electronics MXL990 and some said that they like it or know someone who likes it... and I said the MXL990 sucks eggs. IMO the Marshall Electronics MXL990 is a cheap Chinese budget mic that sucks eggs. If I liked the MXL990 I'd say so.... but I don't like it.

Last edited:
sexydevil, for about the same amount of money that you'd spend on the MXL990 you could get a nice dynamic mic instead... and if you buy a used dynamic you could even get a better one.

DJL said:
Humm, so toorglick when did "HOME RECORDING" start meaning "ONLY cheap crap"? Come on kids... sexydevil asked what we thought of the Marshall Electronics MXL990 and some said that they like it or know someone who likes it... and I said the MXL990 sucks eggs. IMO the Marshall Electronics MXL990 is a cheap Chinese budget mic that sucks eggs. If I liked the MXL990 I'd say so.... but I don't like it.

When someone figured out there was a "HOME RECORDING" market, then you get the kind of products that you're calling "cheap crap." Honestly, though, I can't bemoan your opinion; you are certainly entitled to it. I'll have an opinion on this mic as soon as I get home (I have one waiting for me). Who knows, I may share your opinion on the 990.

However, I think since the home recording market was "discovered," and I mean this to imply the low-cost product explosion within the last 4 or 5 years, quality has risen and prices have come down on gear. A lot of people who have been around do note that "quality for this kind of money" was non-existant not too long ago.

What irks me is that people do not qualify their remarks. You, for example, tend to lump all low-cost import mics into the single category of "cheap Chinese mics" which carries a certain implication with it. The implication is that it's not useful, that it will break down soon, that it doesn't measure up to some standard. This over-generalization is not helpful in the main because despite you or Mr. X Engineer not liking "cheap Chinese mics" as a general rule, people who are looking at this class of microphone will still wind up buying a mic in this class anyway. It's not a matter of taste as it is a matter of budget and an eagerness to record something with anything.

So, what I find when generalizations are made against "cheap Chinese mics" without qualification is not so much a statement against these mics (because, yes, they are cheap mics and do not measure up to pro, high end standards) as it is a statement against the person who is seeking knowledge. I'm not saying this is your intent here in this thread specifically, DJL, but the implication is there due to your reputation.

Perhaps you're asking yourself, or maybe not, "just what the hell does this toorglick-dinkwad want from me?" I think really if you could qualify your remarks on this mic with a comparison to something else in its class. I'm talking a condenser mic in the $100 and under class, just so sexydevil can learn something from your remarks other than you think it is "cheap crap" and that a dynamic would be better than the 990. What dynamic mic and why? A sm57? A lot of people recommend those, but why is it better than a 990 for "home recording?" Educate the guy, don't make him feel small.

As right as DJL is in his comment about the 990 being the loser in a fight with an SM57...for the price it is a good Budget condenser, so take that at face value. Ive had good results using budget stuff.

Who in the bloody heck do you think you are, Mister? ?

Comin' on here all high and mighty talkin' smack about your SM-57.

Don't you know this is HOMErecording.com, buster?

Gentlemen,

I am following this discussion with great deal of interest.
Although I never had chance trying 990, I know for sure it uses the same capsule (KM84 clone) and the same circuit (Schoeps clone) as 603. It seems however, the 603 has much more fans. The only difference between those two is a grill construction--the 990 uses a thick brass ring, which changes acoustical properties of the capsule. I would think it would give different tonal balance. It seems that Harvey thinks that 990 has its uses, and I tend to believe him. So, please enlighten me. Please explain why cheap Chinese budget microphone MXL990 sucks. I would like to hear not general statements, but about its use in particular situation--instruments, performers, rooms, cables, pres, etc., so then it would have validity.

Thanks, Marik

I dig my hole; I lie in it, sure. Okay, here's my assessment on a brand new MXL 990. If you don't care about a shock-mount and a cheap plastic case (and the case is indeed a cheap plastic case, although the shock-mount seems okay, and, frankly, a case is better than a bag) you're better off getting a MCA SP1 and saving yourself the $20 or so.

Up against the MCA SP1, the MXL 990 sounded identical on my voice. The capsules are the same size and I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same exact capsule. The only difference I could detect was that the MXL 990 seemed to be slightly more bass-heavy.

Up against a SP B1 the MXL 990 was definitely less crisp and clear in the top end. Less articulate I think would be the best way to describe it.

I use a pair of MCA SP1s for drum overheads and I like the results. The top end is lacking just enough to attenuate the cymbals to my liking (YMMV). I would suspect the 990 would do nearly as well, although the low end response could be a cause of concern. That said, I plan to try it as a kick mic, probably a foot or so away from the outside head.

If you're looking for a mic to use on vocals, this probably wouldn't be a good choice if you have nothing else or if you have nearly any low end MXL mic. For $10 more the SP B1 would be much better suited as your low-cost vocal mic. Actually, I think B1s are $99 most places now, right? As far as the physical feel of the mic, it seems lacking in quality and robustness when compared to the B1, but nearly as good as the SP1.

I suspect the 990 will work pretty good as a kick mic, and I also suspect it will work nicely as an amp mic. For acoustic guitars it may work well depending on your tastes. But, yeah, don't let it be the only thing you have.

The Marshall Electronics MXL990 also sucks on kick... try it, and you too will know the 990 sucks on kick... unless you have no idea what a good kick mics sounds like. IMO the Marshall MXL990 is one of the perfect examples of a cheap Chinese budget mic that sounds like ass and I refuse to recommend it to anyone. Period.

This is getting boring now

If the MXL 990 sucks on kick, dont stick it on kick!

Im happy with my 990s, theyre helping me and my business to pay the bills.

As for the original thread poster - I guess you better make up your mind for yourself as the views posted are way to varied and almost verging on "emotional" to make a purchasing decision on. Even better - go and have a listen for yourself. If you do get one and make a good recording with it - I doubt the listener is going to slate you for using one!

Why would anybody use a Condenser on the kick? Any Condenser is going to be overly sensitive to sudden bursts of air. They are intend as a Vocal mic for recording purposes. I have one myself. It's actually just an MXL 603S witha Large Diaphram. I spoke with Marshall when they first made them for Musiciansfriend.com. They told me that they made them specifically for these guys to sell, and, in fact, that all that it was was a large diaphram body with the MXL 603 electronics. I liked my 603...so I bought the 990. I used it for a company function...it does pickup everything in the room, as you would expect....very well, too. It is a cheap mic. I've not recorded much with it...even still...but I'd imagine that it would do a pretty good job...in a quite room with good acoustics... It would probably do equally good for acoustic guitar, as well as vocals.

shevsound said:
If the MXL 990 sucks on kick, dont stick it on kick!

Im happy with my 990s, theyre helping me and my business to pay the bills.

As for the original thread poster - I guess you better make up your mind for yourself as the views posted are way to varied and almost verging on "emotional" to make a purchasing decision on. Even better - go and have a listen for yourself. If you do get one and make a good recording with it - I doubt the listener is going to slate you for using one!
I think your advice is good... (audition the mic for yourself) and it's too bad there are a handful who try to make things "emotional" or use personal attacks... anyway, sense you have some MXL990's... please tell everyone if you like the 990 on kick or not.. and what other mics do you use to compare with the 990 on kick? Thanks

Back