Ads and Disads

ditnoj

OK all you minidiskers!

What would you all say as to the advantages and/or disadvantages to buying a minidisc recorder as a first HDR?

What else do you have to have? I know you would have to have a minidisc player for starters. How much are they (for a mid range unit)?

And do these units (recorders and players)interface some way with computers or other media...and how?

Maybe I should have titled this mini-newbie or something.

And this oft mentioned MD8, what $ range is it in?

D out ITNOJ

What do you mean by HDR? I don't know what that means.
If your looking for a multitrack (which I assume that's why your here) then hopefully I can help answer your questions.
First of all, the only real drawback of the mindisc is the compression. It uses a compression called ATRAC. But I won't go into that, read about it here: http://www.minidisc.org/aes_atrac.html

If your getting into multitracking, you don't need a commercial minidisc player, recorder. Yamaha makes the MD4, MD4s, MD8, and the MD8s. Sony also makes one, but I'm not sure of the model number. I got my MD8 from www.zzounds.com/a--2676837 for about $950, although that sale is over, and they are now about $1,099. The MD4 is about $700. I suggest spending the few hundred extra, I think you'll be glad you did.
All you would need to start recording is a multitrack, instruments, monitors, and cords. Eventually you'll want to get into effects, mics, etc.
I hope that helps! :D
-Nil

Howdy!

HDR = Hard Disk Recorder

The compression you mentioned: Is that compression as in computer as in like similar to zipped that gets unzipped when it's played or compressed as in, like, what? I read the article and I'm still not sure.

Am I correct in assuming that the minidisk is really the storage medium and I would need to make a master CD or DAT somewhere for duplication?

Oh yeah, the MD8 has no on board effects at all?
Thanks

D out ITNOJ

You would still need to mix down to something. No onboard effects. The compression of data is permanent (no unzipping) and I'm mo0t sure I would refer to the minidiscs as HDR since the recording medium is very moveable and durable. The minidiscs are just like using a tape based 4 track without the hiss, signal loss, limited editing, and rewind time.

I do not regret using the MD8 at all. I have since moved to a 1880 but I have nothing bad to say about the performance of the MD8.

I can email you some mp3s of finished work (my server won't let me upload files that long to websites).

Hey DALtune (is that, like, "dial-tone" misspelled?)

One more question. Knowing what you know, and if you had nothing and were starting from scratch, would you buy a new MD8 or a used (from a reliable source, of course) 1680?

NO, and just for that I won't tell you.

Actually, It would depend on the 1680. If you are getting it with FXboards I would lean that way, but if it has no expansion and you already have outboard gear and are not worried about keeping total independance over tracking, go for the MD8.

Of course, price is an issue.

hey DALtune (and you others!),

Thanks for the info. When I hit the states this summer (or before!)I know what to search for.

D out ITNOJ

Hi there,

I just learned today that 'Jackson Music Center', in Grand Island, NY (they have a website but I don't know the address) are selling the MD8 units for $859. They are demo models, but come factory sealed and with a full warranty. I was also told that they have the MD4S for $529 (brand new).

Just thought you might be interested.

Back