Any MD4S users rec. acoustic guitar?

Nilbog

hello
I don't think the MD4s uses higher compression than the MD4, or the MD8. I THINK it's 4.0?
I personally don't think the compression takes waya from the sound much, if at all. I don't think you can tell the difference between a song mixed down from minidisc and any other digital media.
-Nil

Nilbog, I would really love to hear a comparison of say a well mic'ed acoustic guitar, with good wire, and a decent mic pre recorded onto the mini disk, and through a decent 16/48 A/D converter. I have to hear this claim that mini disk sound just as good as other digital formats. I just don't believe it at all. Not trying to slam you or anything, but there is a hugh qualative difference even between a Type I and Type II ADAT machine, due mostly to the extra 4 bits of on the converters. And the difference between my mixes going through my 24 Lynx One sound card, and my Fostex D-5 DAT at 16 bits is nothing short of amazing.

Now, if you want to compare mini disk to say a Soundblaster cards converters, you may have an arguement that I could buy without hearing a single thing. But your claim needs some backing friend... :) And now I want to hear it... :D

Not trying to stir up shit, just find it a little too hard to believe. Educate me... :)

Ed

Cool new forum! Just wondering if anyone is using their MD4S for recording ac. guitar? I use mine to record my original folky songs and then I mixdown to PC. Any comments on how the ATRAC sounds compared to uncompressed audio (specifically on ac. guitar)?
FYI I use a KM184 and AT4033 through an Aphex pre.
Hope to hear from fellow minidisc fans!
-Evan
PS - you can listen to one song I recorded at

I use 2 AKG C1000S in x/y ran straight into my Tascam mixer then out of the buss into my MD4. I can't tell the difference between the MD and my hard drive.

The debate goes on, and I don't think I can end it here. First of all, I don't have the equipment to do such a test.
I was only saying what I thought (note the use of the phrases "I personally think..." or "I don't think". Whether my opinions are ignorant or not, well that's another debate.
You can have bad sound on ANY form of media, it's more up to the engineer how it will sound. :D
-Nilbog

Here are some things to consider. These are quotes from people of the sound profession:

Louis Challis, Electronics Australia, October 1996
"The [output of the D/A] chip is an audio signal with a spectacular dynamic range and a degree of fidelity which convinced me that any previous claims of lack of fidelity and commonality of quality between Mini Discs and CDs has now become a technically invalid issue."
"We ran this A-B testing during two separate sessions encompassing a total period of three hours. After the testing was completed we were satisfied that we could neither identify, nor could we hear any difference between the digital original and the digitally recorded MiniDisc, or the manufacturer's own pre-recorded version of that same disc."

This stuff and more http://www.minidisc.org/near_cd.html

[This message has been edited by Nilbog (edited 06-07-2000).]

Well mini disc is a lossy data system, that is it throws away a lot of information. I have a stereo mini disc recorder as well as a DAT and I CAN tell the difference.

Back