approach on mix down-split or interleaved?

dontouch

Hi I am one of those who record on a computer in their living room. I use Cubase LE to record and mix. It's "export" has 2 options: split and stereo interleaved. With split, you can pan L and R and then mix down to stereo. What's the sonic difference between them?

Hi I am one of those who record on a computer in their living room. I use Cubase LE to record and mix. It's "export" has 2 options: split and stereo interleaved. With split, you can pan L and R and then mix down to stereo. What's the sonic difference between them?

No sonic difference. With split you get two mono files to which Cubase intelligently appends "L" or "R" for the mono file generated from the left or right channel of the mix respectively. With interleaved you get a proper stereo file which you can then burn to audio CD.

I see now that this question has been asked before...

One more thing though, when I am dealing with split mix, say, the volume is not even between the two, is it legal to go in and adjust them using the vst mixer or automation? do people do that?

also, this might be off the topic. In the final mix, if there are notes that pushes the peak above -3db(but not in the red!), should I go in automate them down? Is that an indication that something's wrong with the mix?

I see now that this question has been asked before...

One more thing though, when I am dealing with split mix, say, the volume is not even between the two, is it legal to go in and adjust them using the vst mixer or automation? do people do that?

Not sure what you mean by this. 99% of the time you wouldn't export to a split file. There are very few instances where I can see it can be handy, but even then, not for the entire mix, but perhaps for individual tracks. So for standard stuff, you don't need to worry about it. Just export your files as Stereo Interleaved and be happy.

also, this might be off the topic. In the final mix, if there are notes that pushes the peak above -3db(but not in the red!), should I go in automate them down? Is that an indication that something's wrong with the mix?
Not necessarily. Does it sound bad? Remember this mess that we're in is intended for the ears not the eyes.

This mix I am working on is driving me nuts because the bass is synth bass not real bass. It's really weird because certain notes have more ear pressure/low end than others. So the mix has this inconsistent low-end (really boomy vs not enough boom). I tried to eq the less boomy notes but it's impossible without push up the peak of the song, because the less boomy notes are louder but not bassy enough... I hope this make sense. I am so depressed...what shall I do?

Are you sure this isn't a deficiency in your monitoring chain and not the synth itself?

Are you sure this isn't a deficiency in your monitoring chain and not the synth itself?
Yup. I am willing to bet $100 that that's what it is.

I'd say watch the meters on your synth bass track. If from note to note it doesn't show much of a variation (unless you specifically have notes that are quieter than others, intentionally), then it's not your mix, it's your room.

My room for example don't just have a huge bump at around 45Hz. The whole damn thing vibrates at that frequency, the floor, walls, everything. I've learned to ignore it.

You should try a real-time frequency analyser, that way you may be able to
tell if the problem is with your synth or your monitoring chain. If it is a synth
problem, you could try using a multiband compressor just on the low
frequencies to get a fairly consistent amount of low end throughout.

Although, having said all this, it's a little hard to tell if it should be this way or
not, depending on the bass line itself. If all the notes are within the same
range, this shouldn't be happening. If the notes go from low to high, then the
dropout in low frequencies is natural. Can you post a clip? We also may be able
to tell you if we're getting the same low frequency dropouts.

Forgive me for this but I do not know what your skill is...Do u properly know how to use eq? I know plenty of people that add eq and they do it wrong.

I try to avoid eq as much as I could, especially eq that comes with a software. But software is all I have so I try my best to get things done by volume adjustment. I am not one of those guys that spent all day on plug-ins. I would rather spend more time on tracking. So to answer your Q: no I don't really know how to use eq and I don't use it.

Last edited:
Sounds like a mutliband compressor would help this situation. First you must decide what frequency is louder than the rest of the track and apply compression to that frequency.

Back