Disc Error 10 on Yamaha MD4

kelhard

Hi.
This is my first post here so please be gentle :) I keep getting a Disc Error 10 when I try to copy already recorded songs on my Yamaha MD5. This is getting very annoying. What do I need to do to rectify this situation? Please advise. Thank you.

Kelhard

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...ID%3D10551%26CNTYP%3DKNOWLEDGE%5FITEM,00.html

MD ERROR CODES
Error Code Description
Disc Error 01 Recording Re-try Failure
Disc Error 02 Recording Data Overflow
Disc Error 03 PLAY Data Lack (to indicate data overflow during Recording)
Disc Error 10 Address Inconsistency during Recording
Disc Error 80 or 08 The magnetic head didn't drop into position.
Error 01 Sled (or laser unit) didn't move to the inside position.
Error 02 Sled didn't move to the outside position.
Error 04 The magnetic head didn't raise off of the disk.
Error 05 Spindle Error
Error 06 Focus Error
Error 07 Tracking Error
Error 08 The magnetic head does not search

An error code on an MD Recorder is not necessarily an indication of a problem with the unit. The error may also be the result of inconsistencies in the MD media itself. Before contacting Yamaha for repair, a different mini disc should be tried. However, if the error occurs repeatedly on multiple mini discs then the unit most likely will require servicing. Arrangements for servicing can be made by contacting Yamaha Customer Support at (714) 522-9000.

When I got errors with my MD8, it was always a bad disc. Not saying thats your case. Thats just my mileage.

Error 06 - Help!

I'm back!

What exactly is an error 06 on my md4? It says focus error, so is there a problem with the laser alignment or something???? Is this something we can attempt to fix at home or will it need professional service?

Thanks.
Kelhard.

Can you service anything on the minidisc at home?

You may want to try blowing off the lens with compressed air, or if you can reach it with a swab, then try that.;)

I forgot to tell you that I've not had an error 10 in a long time. I went and borrowed a professional camera lens brush and I brushed off dust off the older MD Data discs I was using. (I thought keeping them in thier cases was enough protection but I guess I was wrong. I now keep my discs in their cases inside a briefcase that I keep closed at all times.) Anyways, this seemed to help the cause.

As for the error 06, I used a swab and brushed off the lens, and it seems to work fine now.

Grrrrrrr

I was recording tonight and I got errors 06 and 10. This is really getting unreliable. THANK GOD it was after the bed tracks were recorded and saved sucessfully. I wish I could get it fixed ASAP but the local repair shop is aobut 4 weeks behind in thier stuff, so it'll be like 2 months before I get it back, and I've got sessions booked until mid-march.

What's a man to do here. It'll work fine sometimes, then if I am trying to copy a track to make room for overdubs or whatever, I get problems.

Anyone got a spare MD4 to loan me???? (Hahah.Just a joke, peoples.)

I'm going to call 2 repair shops tomorrow that are out of town. About 90 minues drive away. If they can get this done pronto, I'll go there.

Keltie (feelin very frustrated right now)

disk lock on md4 solution

anybody ever get the disk lock problem on the md4? annoying aint it? I only recently got hold of one of these machines and the disk lock problem came with it, seems that it can happen in storage and moving the unit about alot. Anyhow heres how i stop the error. First with the md4 switched off, turn the unit over on to its front, remove all the screws on the bottom (careful to remember their respective homes) and lift the base unit clear. Now your in there you can use compressed air if you like to clean the unit. Right now you should see the laser compartment ( where the disk goes in) remove the protective plastic film by popping out the pegs. OK done that? Good! now you should see a tiny cogwheel, this controls the mechanism on the disk door. All you have to do is move the cog wheel ( a few turns should do it ) now reach round and hit disk eject and disk should pop right out, if it does just come out slightly, apply more turns....it really is that simple and wont cost you anything to fix...have fun!

Its Dead...Dead...Dead...

More woes to report.

The MD4 won't even load discs now. I put in MD Data and regular MD's (Home recorded and the couple store bought ones I have) and none of them read. I've given up on this unit.

I'm trying now to gather up some cash to get myself a Presonus Firepod. Wish me luck in this venture.

Keltie

Sorry to hear about the problems with the MD4.

In a pinch, a Tascam 564 will read all your old MD-Data discs from the MD4, and it would be considered an upgrade, too. They're going at reasonable prices on Ebay. :eek: ;)

Can someone...ANYONE...rip some MD4 Discs???

Hey Folks.
I'm back, hehe. I'm moving onwards and away. My Firepod is working nicely now. Nice unit!!! My MD4 is still at the shop and I don't expect it back anytime in the near future.

I need some help here. I have a few MD's that have stuff on them that I need to begin work on (and one I totally forgot about till now) and need someone to rip them to CD for me. Can anyone help???? If anyone is able to give a hand, please let me know and we can hash out some details and whatnot. Please contact me off board, as not to clog the board arteries heheh. My email is kelhard@hotmail.com and I answer my email daily.

Thank you in advance to all who may be able to lend a hand here.
Peace and many blessings and good wishes to all.

Keltie.

Back