Does Reaper have a function to render MIDI to .wav?

This one, I know! :D

Right click on the item and select "Apply Track/Take Effects to Items as new Take".
You can choose "mono" or "Stereo", or maybe even "Multi Channel".
You can then bypass or get rid of the MIDI instrument on that track because it's now printed as a Wave file.

In case you don't know, an "Item" is the thing on the timeline that contains the wave form. Or, in the case of MIDI, it contains the MIDI data.

Sort of yes and sort of no.

"No" in the sense that midi doesn't actually contain any audio information. It's mostly just a series of pitches and velocities and needs to be run through a virtual instrument of some sort to actually make sounds. Reaper has the built-in ReaSynth fx, which can be that instrument

"Yes" in the sense that you can render a single track to a wav file as Random Dude described above.
You can also right click the track and go to Render/Freeze Tracks... to render the track to a mono or stereo file.

I suppose it depends on what the OP means? In a way all DAWs have MIDI running all the VSTis and sampler stuff that they do inside the computer - so all DAWs can produce wav files - as in our everyday mixdowns. On the other hand, maybe the OP means if he downloads a .mid file from somewhere, is there a one button to export an audio file where the piano track is a piano and the drum track is drums and not an organ? Not one button, but most sort of try?

Until he tells us what he has in mind we don't know?

If I import a midi file, Cubase (my DAW) does automatically load up some GM sounds and make a noise. Good, it isn't!

One way I do it is to use Render from the main menu. First, left click the track control on the left (not the item on the right with the MIDI notes) to highlight it. Then choose Render from the Main Menu. Change Master Mix to Selected Tracks (stems). Change Channels to MONO. Change Format to WAV. This will render any tracks you have highlighted into a MONO WAV file. You can then drag and drop that file into the track screen and it will add your MIDI as a new track displaying as a WAV.

Sort of yes and sort of no.

"No" in the sense that midi doesn't actually contain any audio information. It's mostly just a series of pitches and velocities and needs to be run through a virtual instrument of some sort to actually make sounds. Reaper has the built-in ReaSynth fx, which can be that instrument

"Yes" in the sense that you can render a single track to a wav file as Random Dude described above.
You can also right click the track and go to Render/Freeze Tracks... to render the track to a mono or stereo file.
Yes, running the midi files through a synth, which is the only way you'll hear them.

I don't remember what the specific steps are in the ancient version of Cakewalk I was using but I know it was possible using midi and SoundFonts.

Yes, running the midi files through a synth, which is the only way you'll hear them.

I don't remember what the specific steps are in the ancient version of Cakewalk I was using but I know it was possible using midi and SoundFonts.

Cool! If you've got the VSTi on the track with the midi, just render it using one of the processes described above, and you'll be good.

(One of the great strengths but also potential sources of frustration in Reaper is that there are usually 3 different ways to do anything, and you just have to figure out which works best for your workflow)

In fact, while on the subject. I don't do much midi, but when I do....I always do the right click and save as a wav file. I sometimes go back to things years later, and sometimes don't have access to the same vst instruments anymore. So I always have the finished track which can still be manipulated many many years later.

In fact, while on the subject. I don't do much midi, but when I do....I always do the right click and save as a wav file. I sometimes go back to things years later, and sometimes don't have access to the same vst instruments anymore. So I always have the finished track which can still be manipulated many many years later.
I think this is the first time I have ever seen this soundcloud player with multiple clickable songs posted here at HR.Com. Is this something new, something you have to be a paying member of soundcloud to use? Pretty cool..

Back