Dogbox - knucklehead garage rock

dogbox

These are rough as guts-like the band :)
We recorded into a Yamaha portastudio using 8 tracks.

Mics - used 4 mics on drums based on tip from the drum forum i.e 2 OH's marshall mx 63 (i think) one 2 drum sticks height over the snare , one over the drummers shoulder, sm57 on the snare and At25pro on the kick. got that tip from this site.

sm57 on 2 guitar cabs, kick drum mic on on bass, sm58 on vocals. theres some backups vocals sung into the OH's.

I got all the tracks and then loaded onto cubase. there is so much bleed on everything that there wasn't much I could do except put a bit of compression on the mixdown versions, pan the guitars.

We are just looking to get a semi decent demo that shows our energy playing live but without all the clipping/mud.

Would using a compressor on the vocals help? pretty clueless.

these are just some covers that we do. We would really like to have another attempt and record our originals but have been so underwhelmed by these results that we will hold off untill we know a bit more about what we are doing.

Actually these were the only songs we got recorded that day as the drummer spilt a beer onto the portastudio, rendering it useless(its currently with the dealers being repaired).<insert drummer joke here>

any info about improving the recording quality would be greatly appreciated.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~stephen.flynn/audio/

I listened to Born Outta Time on headphones. As you say the recording is a little rough, and it sounds like there's some distortion at the peaks. I think that will be pretty hard to get rid of. Its hard to tell on headphones, but it sounds like the low middle is a little boomy- I'd do a slight cut on the guitars at 100-200 Hz. Maybe also ask the singer to double the vocal line in the studio to give the vocal a little more presence. That said, the song is good and the performance is awesome. I like the guitar part at the end.

Cheers for that dude. will go back to cubase and have another play. yeah theres way too much clipping, especially on the vocal track. I think we will try putting the vocal mic outside the room next time.

I,m keen to hear what other bands do when trying to record there own stuff live???
cheers

Back