How do large-format bands survive?

Serendipity Records

So I'm watching/listening to a Snarky Puppy studio performance that involves 14 members plus 5 guests. Just the gear visible in the video is worth about half a million (CAD) per my conservative estimate -- keyboards, big percussion section, double mic'ing certain instruments, headphones for an audience of about 40, etc. I imagine they rented the space, but still...

Where does the money come from?? Not from streams on Spotify, not from YT views, and I can't imagine tour/show revenue can pay for that kind of session. Not to mention all the musicians are in-demand professionals who surely want good money to support their living in Brooklyn (where the band is based) or other over-populated, over-priced cities.

Just sayin'.

If I wanted to start a band like that, how is it done in our crazy present day&age?

If they are paying people - the money is coming from somewhere - alternative revenue streams like Teaching - Film Soundtracks - TV Supplemental Music - something -
I have no idea what Snarky Puppy gets from Tours - but I wouldn’t discount that either - they are established so it’s probably more that you think - they tour a lot BTW - close to 220 dates a year - and they ask between $25 and $45 for tickets - a 1000 person venue is going to net them $40000 at least - do that a 100 times a year (not unheard of for
them) and you are talking about netting $4 Million just from those concerts - I don’t think they are hurting for money.

Last edited:
So I'm watching/listening to a Snarky Puppy studio performance that involves 14 members plus 5 guests. Just the gear visible in the video is worth about half a million (CAD) per my conservative estimate -- keyboards, big percussion section, double mic'ing certain instruments, headphones for an audience of about 40, etc. I imagine they rented the space, but still...

Where does the money come from?? Not from streams on Spotify, not from YT views, and I can't imagine tour/show revenue can pay for that kind of session. Not to mention all the musicians are in-demand professionals who surely want good money to support their living in Brooklyn (where the band is based) or other over-populated, over-priced cities.

Just sayin'.

If I wanted to start a band like that, how is it done in our crazy present day&age?
Interesting subject.
It takes money to make money....Have you noticed the freeking price of a ticket to any artist of any sort of popularity...Lordy where did the $5 tickets of the 60's and 70's go..
So touring is a great money maker for any significantly popular artist.
You'll probably be surprised at how rich it gets at the top
Top 10 richest musicians 2024
Top 10 concert tour winners 2023
I mentioned that I saw a free concert hosted by Jim Irsay ( the owner of the Colts) FREE!
That one is the unicorn in the mix because he is just paying 100's of millions of dollars to put his name on the map of fame and get a huge tax write off in the process...But I'm not complaining. Basically has taken his collection of cool things, art, cars and guitars all over the U.S. Hiring great musicians and putting on the Jim Irsay collection exhibition rock show...crazy but very cool.

So how do they do it...Probably the one thing I have heard more older famous musicians say in their regrets stories is early in their careers giving away their publishing rights.
Yep Royalties are a way bigger deal that most realize and with streaming and a big hit or two, they can put you in the drivers seat to do stiff like Snarky and his management did...way more money in it than one not in the business would think.

For every artist that has won the woo hoo I made it lottery there are 10,000 artist like most of us who hang out here that literally almost pay to play.

Lastly a good article on the top 10 ways to make mo money mo money in the music industry with #2 being publishing royalties..( I think it is #1)

At a net worth of 1.5 billion I guess he can pull off a little fancy concert pretty easily...damn!

View attachment 136949
I serously doubt Michael League accumalted his money from Snarky Puppy - that would make him richer than the top music earners in the world - like McCartney whose net worth is now estimated at $1.3 Billion - and Leagues name isn’t tossed around ever as a high dollar musician - and if Snarky Puppys corporate net worth is only $11 Million (which seems more likely) how could he possibly increase his own net worth that high?

Of course if you are just having fun - well - that’s good one and pretty funny.

I serously doubt Michael League accumalted his money from Snarky Puppy - that would make him richer than the top music earners in the world - like McCartney whose net worth is now estimated at $1.3 Billion - and Leagues name isn’t tossed around ever as a high dollar musician - and if Snarky Puppys corporate net worth is only $11 Million (which seems more likely) how could he possibly increase his own net worth that high?

Of course if you are just having fun - well - that’s good one and pretty funny.
LOL I did read it on the internets...
TBH I was looking up Snarky's net worth and that info popped up and I did not fact check it...

I just thought well damn that boy must have done some good investing of his money...it happens...but not in this case... Looks like he may be worth somewhere between 1.5 and 19 million or somewhere in between....

As far as putting on a show with a bunch of musicians being as the band appears to be in the over 10 million net worth game...it would be easy to put on a show here and there with a big crew and come out in the black

I know, eh? I called the ticket place for concert tickets a few weeks ago. The guy told me tickets start at $150.00.

I said "$150? Forget it. I'll stay home".

He said "Stay home? That's $40" :eek:
Out here in La la we're koo koo krazy....Check out the standing front stage area for Bruce Springsteen coming up ..... to be fair they do have nose bleed seats for $150

1709568317328.png

As far as putting on a show with a bunch of musicians being as the band appears to be in the over 10 million net worth game...it would be easy to put on a show here and there with a big crew and come out in the black
Easy? Nothing is easy about getting to the $10 million dollar net worth with a big Band and Crew to match - seriously Snarky Puppy worked their tales off for 10 years playing at least 250 shows a year - it’s sweat equity more than money.

Out here in La la we're koo koo krazy....Check out the standing front stage area for Bruce Springsteen coming up ..... to be fair they do have nose bleed seats for $150

View attachment 136958
Spingsteen like McCartney like the Stones and bunches of other Legacy bands are in their own league - the money they make is so far beyond what most bands do (like Def Leppard - who do very well - but nothing like Springsteen_

Easy? Nothing is easy about getting to the $10 million dollar net worth with a big Band and Crew to match - seriously Snarky Puppy worked their tales off for 10 years playing at least 250 shows a year - it’s sweat equity more than money.
For sure getting there was not easy...I'm saying as per the OP question how do these bands put on a show with a lot of players on stage and afford it. When you're net worth exceeds 10 million that is not a big deal...That's "easy"

If they are paying people - the money is coming from somewhere - alternative revenue streams like Teaching - Film Soundtracks - TV Supplemental Music - something -
I have no idea what Snarky Puppy gets from Tours - but I wouldn’t discount that either - they are established so it’s probably more that you think - they tour a lot BTW - close to 220 dates a year - and they ask between $25 and $45 for tickets - a 1000 person venue is going to net them $40000 at least - do that a 100 times a year (not unheard of for
them) and you are talking about netting $4 Million just from those concerts - I don’t think they are hurting for money.
OK that makes sense. I'm also curious about how one would go about starting a band like that -- you mentioned reputation which a beginning band would not have?

When you're an unknown band, you perform for peanuts.
Get a bit more experienced, and you have to pay to support a big name.
I've never paid more than £20 to see a band, and will never pay serious money.
I'm a stay at home these days. Get it on CD, or a DVD.
You need to have a big name to be paid big money at a festival.
Even then, they might just break even, with all the costs.
The super rich live in a different world.

The key on that ticket is "VERIFIED RESALE TICKET". In the old days they were called scalpers! Joe Bonnamassa was in town a month ago. A ticket in the center section was $155. There were a few available about 10 rows back but still too rich for my blood. However in the row behind, there were 4 tickets from a verified reseller listed at $399 each. That's a 160% markup over retail. I hope the person holding them got stuck holding all four and lost the $600 they had invested.

In Kentucky, it is illegal to scalp tickets. I don't understand how Ticketmaster and LIveNation can promote scalpers for venues in the state. I think the state attorney general needs to look into it.

you mentioned reputation which a beginning band would not have?

The bio mentions that he studied at music college. There would almost certainly have been industry people associated with the college so promising students would probably get noticed and guided into opportunities. I know a few people in the UK who are doing decent gigs thanks to contacts made through music college.

OK that makes sense. I'm also curious about how one would go about starting a band like that -- you mentioned reputation which a beginning band would not have?
If I was starting over I would just play as many shows as I could a month - and tour around - accept anything - live poor and broke - eventually if you have something you’ll make money.

Back