I'm still using an MD8!

CheapAdviceGuy

So is my music partner, or he was until he recently upgraded to a computerized Cubase setup. It was strange - both of our units started getting flaky at about the same (they are 7 or 8 years old I guess). Lots of Error 06 messages, occasional songs mysteriously trashed across all tracks, noisy controls, etc.

I don't have the loot for the upgrade so I'm still limping along with mine. At least I can use his as a spare! I have lots of unfinished songs on those MD140s!

-CAG

Maybe I should blast it! The most I've done is to sort of wiggle the door.

-CAG

so were you successful fixing your md8?

i've just bought one which was supplied with 7 disks. i think they've had a fair bit of use;

i keep getting two problems:

1. the disc error xx where the recorder will stop in the middle of a take requiring a re-take

2. a spontaneous recording of silence (about 1/8th of a second) over the whole 8 tracks when only ONE track is armed and recording.

i have bought this recorder and love it but need to decide whether or not to take the unit back to the consignment shop and get a foxtex DMT8 instead.

i'd rather not take the unit back but if it's going to keep doing this to me what's the point in having it? i don't like doing hours of work on a recording to have it destroyed in less than a second by unreliable equipment.

so a quick answer would be great.

thanks

I'm still dealing with Error 06.

so were you successful fixing your md8?

I tried air-blasting but it had no evident effect.

I still get Error 06 one or two times during most recording sessions. I'm not sure if the discs are old or deteriorated or whether it's the MD8. It never happens during a take, always when I hit Record or Play and it tries to get going for a few seconds then gives me Error 06. Fortunately, all I need to do is pop the disc out, put it back in, and re-select the song I was working on. The only setting that is lost is the "Record" settings for each track. It has always worked on the retry.

I have had that dropout-on-all-tracks problem ruin three songs (out of hundreds) so far. This is clearly due to the MD8, not the discs. For me, that would be a deal breaker on a unit I just bought! (Along with the stopping during a take, which is unacceptable). The MD8 can be a great recorder, but it sounds like buying this particular one would be just asking for lots and lots of frustration.

I'd go with the Fostex, or something even better, at this point.

-CAG

Now, there is a great title for a song:

"The most I've done is try to wiggle the door."

Green Hornet:rolleyes::D

The most I've done is try to wiggle the door,
That's a hundred times more than I've done before,

maybe I should blast it
maybe I should blast it

The thing is, when new it worked like a charm,
But, now it fails, when the [RECORD] is armed,

maybe I should blast it
maybe I should blast it