MD8-Repair ?

foolish hit

Hi,
I bought a Yamaha MD8 a few months ago off of ebay.I did some light bedroom recording to familiarise myself with it and everything was working fine.
Last week I wen't to record my old band and was going to use all eight tracks for the drums alone.after a good few hours setting up and stuff.I finally got round to pressing the record button.when I did everything seemed to be recording fine for about 20 seconds then it would stop for 1 second then continue to record for the next 10-15 seconds then do the same again.....for about 30 and then stop completely, displaying the message (disc error).
I followed the trouble shooting advice and bought myself some brand new discs but still the problem excists.

I live in the U.K and am finding out to my detrement how difficult it is to find parts for these machines as I had to send to the U.S for replacement discs.

Could anyone give me some advice please ?

Regards
Mark.

P.S Please don't tell me I've been sold a dead Duck.

Help Please ???

Come on guys it really can't be a difficult question for sombody to answer, given that most people on this forum either has one now or at one time has owned one or even knows someone who is in possesion of one.

Last edited:
Ebay Purchase

This is Lord Atrac,

Your attention is required and you will be silent. If not, Brother Thermostwat will be given my permission to sing his horrible creation: "Bridge Over Boiling Water", which as you know, I banned him from performing altogether within the boundaries of our encampment.

Brethren, rule Number One of my dictum is that none of you shall purchase MD8´s or MD4´s via Ebay. Why not? Because you are unable to test the units for full functionality and you have no guarantee from the seller whatsoever. It may be that Ebay would intervene but the likelihood of you being given a refund are to put it mildly, not very likely. My considered advice is that anyone with a faulty unit should send it well packed to the nearest Yamaha dealer/agent for perusal and repair.

Brother Foolish Hit has lived up to his name in this instance and you will all learn from his example. Brother Gonad and Brother Reel Person have decided to stop trying to slave their MD8´s together and have asked me to comment on ping-ponging - which I take to mean is a request for the resumption of table tennis in the communal library. Summarily refused! Balls have been bouncing off the walls, as well as the bald head of Brother Alopecia who as everybody knows, tends to spend longer in the library than anyone else in the "Hirsute" section.

That is all. You will all now return to your duties as before and carry on as normal. I am saddened to have received so many stupid requests and complaints recently, all of which have impinged on my time and re-writing of the hated Japlish manuals.

Lord Atrac.

Hi Robin,
My thoughts excatly.I only wanted to know if the machine was broken.what I didn't need was an arseholes fantasic patronising attempt at being funny.Maybe he should seek the help of a therapist as he doesn't seem very comfertable with reality.

Help ???

Thanks a lot guys for your hasty help. I first posted my reasonable question over a month and a half ago and the only reply I've had was some idiot saying that i shouldn't purchase from ebay. Maybe I shouldn't have, but because I don't have very much money and I accepted the risks.

I've since joined a forum based in the U.K. and the help and advice I have received has been overwelming.

Call yourselves proud to be American? Shame on you, shame! You are about as speedy and helpful as you were in joining the second world war!

Last edited:
Hey FH, I own an MD8 and I also ran into the same problems as you. What usually solved the problem was blowing out the unit with compressed air. Sometimes dust get into unit, which also gets into the disc as you record. I've never called Yamaha to get a professional opinion, but cleaning your recorder might help. Try a new disc after cleaning. Good luck! :cool:

foolish hit said:
Thanks a lot guys for your hasty help. I first posted my reasonable question over a month and a half ago and the only reply I've had was some idiot saying that i shouldn't purchase from ebay. Maybe I shouldn't have, but because I don't have very much money and I accepted the risks.

I've since joined a forum based in the U.K. and the help and advice I have received has been overwelming.

Call yourselves proud to be American? Shame on you, shame! You are about as speedy and helpful as you were in joining the second world war!

Which forum?

Lord Atrac answers.

Dear Bothers of the Atrac movement:

I am disturbed from my work of translating the hated Japlish manuals to address the faithful (and ungrateful amongst you) Atrac brethren.

Mudslingers! Return to the slime from whence you came! Lord Atrac has illuminated these colums with wit and style, as well as soundly reverberating advice and common sense. Lord Atrac will never sink to the levels or litteral (deliberate mis-spelling) garbage as aptly demonstrated here by the "complainers" and other hurlers of undeserved insult.

My previous communication was clearly not received (by some) as intended! It is patently a one-way conversation and these agitators have painted themselves as the most envious, un-informed and ignorant of our Atrac order. "Buy from Ebay at your own risk" was my earlier message! Blowing at dust is the paltry and pathetic reply? Laughable - and I laugh at you with a midiverb set to "Cathedral"! Why vent your anger at Lord Atrac? If you bought a faulty unit from Ebay, it is because you bought "blind". What else would the Brother ShitHead expect? expect? expect? expect? (Brother TapeHead - turn off the echo repeats!) NOW!! now, now, now...

Blowers of dust and skinflint naieve penny-pinching scourers of Ebay and other dubious sources of "bargains" have no place amongst us and as such, are hardly fit to advise any of the true brethren who seek full enlightenment; nor to seek their help!

You are hereby cast into the virtual analog pit of tape hiss until "TunesDay!"

Brothers Foolish Twit, (or was it Twat?), Dessicated Member, The Stodge and Nothing Face have, as you can all plainly read (given their grammatical mistakes) lived up to their hilariously apt names. And of what use have they been to us in helping to decipher and re-write the hated Japlish manuals?

They came here seeking our advice and left nothing of value here, only hideous insults. They left graffitti and insult on our walls instead, oh learned brothers!

What advice worth hearing has been given by them in our sanctified columns? Close your eyes and what do you see brothers? Even World War 2 was mentioned - does any brother here see a correlation between that episode and the Yamaha MD8?

They came uttering falsehoods and dragging unrelated history into the bargain and then bleated to us with goats voices about their piddling complaints, which on true stereo balance, they brought upon their own monoshaven heads.

Lord Atrac shall not be blamed for this.

They are herewith consigned to midi Hell - asap! A warm welcome awaits them.

Lord Atrac.

Back