minidisc use?

Yeah,...

BigRay said:
Yep.welll, cept phish broke up, so now they record moe, string cheese incident, leftover salmon, etc.

i say ship them and their music to another continent.

and Jerry Garcia died 10 years ago! :eek:

I like Hi-MD in concept.

What I don't like too much is that all the Hi-MD units so far are little handheld portable (walkman-style) units. Why couldn't they make a console/home stereo style Hi-MD deck as an adjoining product?

The mini-handheld models are fine for portability, bootlegs or whatever, but sometimes a person wants a full sized model as well!! If/when the Hi-MD is introduced as a home/console style unit, or even a home deck and portable "bundle", I'll jump on that bandwagon. I do like the mini-handheld Hi-MD units, but I'm hesitant to lock myself into a "portable/handheld" format without any alternatives.

Otherwise, I'd agree that Hi-MD is a great development,... although maybe too little/too late to make a huge market impact. I'm glad it's out there as a recording alternative,... and it's perfect for portable/handheld or bootleg application.

/DA :eek:

Last edited:
A Reel Person said:
What I don't like too much is that all the Hi-MD units so far are little handheld portable (walkman-style) units. Why couldn't they make a console/home stereo style Hi-MD deck as an adjoining product?

I agree, a decent deck for us studio folks would be great. Saying that, I manage to get by with mine ok (Sony NH900), as I use it for outdoor recording. The portables are ideal for when you're dangling over a waterfall or in the woods recording nature sounds. I simply get home and load it into my PC via Sonic Stage (USB), which keeps it in the digital domain.

Personally I think for outdoor/portable/personal recording, the Hi-MD format is on a par with DAT, and much, much cheaper. Plus it's more convenient with its direct access. But it'll get a rough ride as solid-state recorders start coming down in price.

Back