Mixing down to MD

Ray J

I'm looking for a mini-disc deck to mix down to. There are a number of used Sony MDS JE510s and 520s out there. I was under the impression that if the deck has digital out, that I could go to CD with an exact duplicate of my master, is this correct? Last night I read somewhere, on one of the unit reviews, I think, that the guy said he wished he could have stayed in the digital domain and he was talking about going from minidisc to CD with some pre-recorded music. I am recording on a yamaha MD8, so I know I will be going into the mixdown deck through the analog jacks, after going through this, and 2 rounds of data compression, I would certainly like to go to CD with an exact duplicate of my master. Also, do all of these decks use 4th generation ATRAC. I know the later models do but is there a year that it started and everything before that used a lesser version? Is anyone else mixing down to minidisc, and what are the things I should look for when buying a deck?

Not all Sony mini disc machines have digital ins AND outs. I have a MDS-JE510 and it does but a friend of mine's only has an input I believe (digital that is, it does have analog ins and outs). Some thing to keepin mind. Better yet keep an eye out for a DAT. Much mo betta.

Thanks TR, yeah, I knew to look for the digital outs, so let me get this straight, if it has digital out, I can expect an exact dupe of my master? About Dat, I realize they are better but not sure if I can afford one. I've been seeing these Sony units going for $125 used. And from what I've heard more can go wrong with the dats and I would be more reluctant to get a used one. But I guess its worth looking into. Thanks for responding.

I hear what your saying Charlie, but the board on the MD8 is analog and is, as I've heard someone else say on another site, quite musical. I'm thankful for it and it does warm up the recordings somewhat, but the reason I'm so concerned about exact duplication when going to CD, is because after 2 bouts with data compression,(the MD recording and MD mixdown) and the sound degregation that I've heard happens when ripping to mp3.com, I'm worried about some serious loss by the time someone else hears my stuff. I haven't gotten that far yet, I've only trial mixed to cassette, while waiting for a mixdown unit to fall in my lap, so my fears could be unsubstantiated(sp). Thanks for the input though, because although I've recorded in studios before, I have never been on the recording end of things other than a (four track cassette) and in general I've found that most of you guys know more than I do about all this stuff....peace ...Ray J

Ray, You have a computer, get soundforge XT (or CEP or something like it) and master into your computer and then you can edit your two track stuff and make it real slick. You can make an analog transfer or get a card with TOSLINK S/PDIF ins and outs.

[This message has been edited by Track Rat (edited 06-15-2000).]

Mastering into my computer is not really a viable option for me right now. I really know nothing about how to begin to do it and, this computer is in the living room and everyone in my family is constantly fighting to get on it. I have to divert my kids with chores, then fight my wife, she uses it for take home work from the office (how irresponsible of her) just to get online.

Also, maybe I didn't explain myself well last time but I read another review again the other night about either a je510 or 520, I'm not sure which, but the unit did have a digital out, and I think the guy said he couldn't make a perfect copy. Something about the SCMS or something. Anyone?

Ahhh,,the dreaded SCUMS code. Serial copy management something_or_other. I used to have a soundblaster live card many moons ago and it DIDN"T like that stuff.It wouldn't allow me to make digital copies of my own DATs. There are one copy versions and no copy versions of it. Once I got my Gina card that was the end of that. There's a window in there that allows you to toggle it off or on.

To answer your question,if you come out of the minidisc machine from the TOSlink output to a CD recorder,you WILL get an exact copy of what's on the minidisc.Just be aware that the audio on the minidisc is compressed by Sony's ATRAC system,so there's no way that the CD can sound better than the minidisc.Cheers!

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. TOSlink? Is there another name for that, I've never seen it listed as that. I've seen co ax outs, digital outs and optical outs. Is that another name for one of these, or are we talking about a whole nother animal?

TOSlink is a stereo optical digital format that's used mini disc and some DATs and a few sound cards. It is the same connector as ADAT light pipe BUT a different format. ADAT is 8 tracks, TOSlink is 2. AS mentioned above, The TOSlink output is 16 bits, 44.1 kHz (same as a CD) but comeing from a mini disc you have the data compression problem.

Back