MP3 to Cassette -- too quiet!

BedeDazzle

Trying to record mp3s to cassette for a tape label, and don't feel like hiring a mastering house. I'm fine with a "lo-fi" quality, but I just want the volume at least to be right.

I've been running the audio from my mac through a USB to RCA cable, first into a Tascam DAT machine. Through headphones on the DAT, I would actually say that the audio is enhanced--a bit more evened out and warm. I then run the DAT into a Nakamichi cr-1. At each step, I need to make sure that the levels are not peaking, but by the time I put my recorded tape into a stereo player, with NR off at that, it's incredibly quiet/distant.

I am open to any suggestions, but I was wondering if getting a preamp or mixer with EQ/gain, could help as an extra step between DAT and tape. I am thinking this way I may be able to increase the volume without peaking the levels. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Have you tried removing the DAT from the chain and just recording straight into the Nakamichi ?

That should work fine if you have the levels set correctly on the Mac.

There's really no need to go through the dat machine unless it's for archive purposes. Even then it's best to use the digital inputs. going through the analog inputs of the dat adds an un-needed pass through ad-da converters without any benefits.

You can hit most chrome cassettes to +3 dBvu with out much saturation. You do not have to worry as much about going over 0. Normal cassettes...maybe peak at +1 or +2.

Make sure you are coming out of the daw at a healthy level or you will build up noise on the analog input of the cassette or dat.

ha, now why didn't i think of that? you're right--i like the way it sounds on the DAT but it definitely subtracts from the transfer to cassette. do you find that this is generally true with mastering? not an electronics guy, but i know often with guitar pedals, a long chain can really deplete the original strength of the tone. i suppose different machines have different specs that mar the original sound?

thanks for your input!

also, great point about the +1/+2. i always assumed by default i didn't want to go into the red, but i imagine you really have to play around to find the best level depending on the mix, conversion of formats etc.

also, great point about the +1/+2. i always assumed by default i didn't want to go into the red, but i imagine you really have to play around to find the best level depending on the mix, conversion of formats etc.

Assuming the VU meters on the cassette deck is callibrated properly. I've found that, even with callibration, there tended to be a slight difference in levels between the recording and playback modes, and most of the time the recording levels seemed to always be hotter by about 2-3 db.

Push the cassette into the red, you are now dealing with analog, the meters on the cassette should peak at +3db and sit at least +1db. One problem is how good is the cassette tape brand, a poor quality brand will play back at less level than you put on, a good quality brand will play back what you have put on and even can play back louder.

alan.

Like the others said; going to the red is no problem.
Just out of curiosity: why are you using MP3's and not WAVs? MP3's degrade the sound quality quite a lot.

Back