Need some opinions on this craigslist ad I saw for a MIJ 80's Strat

Through some research, it looks like he has a 1984-89 Fender "Contemporary Standard '22'" Stratocaster. There are a couple that have gone for around $300-350 on eBay in slightly better condition, so I suppose the $300 offer is fair. I'm not in the mood to spend that much on a guitar I intend to re-sell, so I'll probably let this one pass unless he'd be willing to come down a little bit, which he probably won't...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/698844227.html

And some extra pictures the owner sent me upon request:

b1.jpg

hs1.jpg

hs2.jpg

I noticed the bulge in the paint job next to the bridge, which obviously is no good. The bridge looks like a "System I" tremolo. I'm not really interested in buying it or anything unless the guy would come way down in price, but I'm intrigued and you guys always come up with such interesting knowledge about semi-obscure stuff :D

Last edited:
some go crazy over the japan stuff. bridge looked familiar. the nut looks strange.

It's interesting that they'd took the time to stamp the back of the tuners with Fender Japan.

i have a standard MIJ strat from the same era (mine is 87 I think) and it is a great guitar. I've played many a USA strat, and i have never felt like mine did notr measure up to those.
I ended up refinishing mine to natural, and switching out the pickups for Bill Lawrence's, and it sounds great now, and looks much better than it did with the fading while orioginal finish.

Not sure how much that helps you, but i will say that I would have been satisfied with about $400 for mine before the work, and probably would want more like 500-550 for it now. I am not really into the locking bridge/nut combo and the finish job does look crappy, iw ould not expect to be able to resell for much more than the $300 price, but short of that the MIJ 80's strats are a great bargain for less than $400, sure.

Dave

Back