Not old audio kit, but some of my vintage video kit that I'm still using.

rob aylestone

In around 1980 - Anglia TV here in the UK were getting rid of some kit and we were able to buy some of it. I was really doing radio mic stuff back then, but managed to get the one bit of kit I wanted to show you - a Vinten Dolphin jib - a small camera crane that is 100% not lightweight and portable, but incredibly well made and just as good as it was when new. So that's 50 years probably. Skip through the waffle - but what do you reckon on the old engineering here - the pan and tilt heads are I think even a little older, and they're amazingly good still too.

Ha! I wish. Music and video plus I run a theatre, and manage some biggish shows. Expert at nothing but good enough to be paid. Sort of average at lots. Most of the music I write and record is sort of ambient lift music - So if I'm shooting a video about satellite receivers that gets played in a repeating loop for three days at an exhibition, I can also do the music and charge that too. Dreadfully dull. One was made for a member of the Royal Family in Saudi - the receiver had pull out cards, all gold plated. It was going to live in a locked cupboard! A security guard stood by while we shot it going around on a turntable. Oh yes - and industrial washing machines and laundry. That was the dullest.

I'll have to actually buy some cassettes and see how good the old Tascam is?

I hit on the idea years ago to never sell the music, just licence it to the client so I'm free to put them on the streaming and download platforms. I make very little from them, but they're out there.

I hit on the idea years ago to never sell the music, just licence it to the client so I'm free to put them on the streaming and download platforms.
I believe that's pretty standard for film soundtracks etc.? I did a soundtrack for a short film recently and that was the agreement we had.

Back