recording with in stereo with two different mic types... need suggestions

tojo

Hey guys, I've been experimenting with my ears but right now I am looking for some opinions from you guys. This post is about recording in stereo (especially acoustic guitar) These are the mics I have
  • audio techinca at 2020 (medium diaphragm condesner
  • two behringer c-2s (matched pair)
  • I plan on getting a sm57

Here's the thing, I want to record in stereo. Normally I've been using the behringer c-2s since I got them. However they have a bad noise floor and they get some noise. So assuming I have an sm 57 which do you suggest I use to record in stereo...

• stick to using a matched pair and get a similar sound out of both mics (but still get that noise problem)
  • Use a behri and the at2020?
  • Use an sm 57 with the at2020?
  • use sm 57 with a c-2?

so basically I'm not sure how I feel about mixing and matching mics; I've tried it but now I want some opinions... if anyone's used any of these mics on acoustic guitar (or other stereo sound sources)... should I mix and match or stick to the stereo pair

thanks.

If your close stereo mic'ing, you might as well try some mix and match mic'ing as well. I would especially try one of the C-2's with the 2020. If you are doing distance mic'ing, such as mic'ing a chorus or other group, I would stay with the stereo pair.

There's something to be said for mono mic'ing as well. For acoustic guitar, I'd play with the 2020.

juan162

I have used the at 2020 alone, and it's good. But ever since i got 2 sdc's i've been wanting to record in stereo (something just makes me feel its better)... and I'm going to keep trying around with it. (i'll try not to forget about recording in mono for acoustic haha) but thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried the sm57 on acoustic guitar?

I have used the at 2020 alone, and it's good. But ever since i got 2 sdc's i've been wanting to record in stereo (something just makes me feel its better)... and I'm going to keep trying around with it. (i'll try not to forget about recording in mono for acoustic haha) but thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried the sm57 on acoustic guitar?

I haven't, but I think your better off using one of the other three mics for acoustic. Of course it never hurts to try,

juan

Back