"Temporary" acoustic foam mounting??

thane1200

Medicated Member
I plan on buying some acoustic foam relitively soon to complimemt my fiberglass absorbers.

I live in rented space, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for mounting the stuff so that it can be removed easily and be re-used in my next place.

My idea is to take a broad thumbtack and pierce a piece duct tape throught the "sticky" side, then attatch said tpe to the back of the foam on the corners.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks in advance

~Thane

You may have a difficult time getting any kind of tape to stick to acoustic foam.... everything I tried let loose after a few days.

I mounted mine to 20"x40" Masonite (cheap 1/4" hardboard) with glue and hung those to the wall with a standard picture-hanging expanding screw.

Good cheap glue: Arlene's FOAMTASTIC from sewing/craft stores. $4 a bottle and you only need a little squiggle behind each panel. None of my squares have come off since using it.

I mounted mine to 20"x40" Masonite (cheap 1/4" hardboard) with glue and hung those to the wall with a standard picture-hanging expanding screw.
I've seen some kind of hangers specifically designed for foam panels. Then 3M makes a set of wall hooks with a special adhesive designed to remove from the wall at a later time without damaging the wall. If you do use a panel such as masonite, use a 1" spacer between the panel and the foam. You wll lower the absorption bandwidth.
fitZ

If you attatch it to just about anything, (masonite, cardboard, whatever) and just hang that up like a picture, you will be cool.

I got some 2'x4' sheets of 1/8" MDF and glued the foam to that using spray adhesive (Camie 300?), and then hung the MDF with a drywall screw in each of the top corners.

What Rick mentioned is how I hung my fiberglass absorbers...

3M stuff available at Staples or wherever which is basically very strong velcro with strong adhesive on either side. Maybe use spray foam and mount the foam to some masonite, then use the 3M stuff (maybe 1 in each corner) to attach it to the wall.

Thanks guys, for the replies.

I think I'll try a Velcro type solution.

Maybe glue one side of the Velcro to the foam, then staple the other side to the wall, that should hold and leave very little wall damage.

thane1200,
Are you going to use the adhesive and a staple to attach the velcro to the wall?

If you do watch the adhesive, it too will tear the actual paper off the sheetrock if your not carefull. My friend had that happen when doing a simular thing, pain to fix.

Also if anyone is using the 3M strips be carefull as well as they have the tendency to do the same thing.

-Blaze

blazingstrings said:
thane1200,
Are you going to use the adhesive and a staple to attach the velcro to the wall?

If you do watch the adhesive, it too will tear the actual paper off the sheetrock if your not carefull. My friend had that happen when doing a simular thing, pain to fix.

Also if anyone is using the 3M strips be carefull as well as they have the tendency to do the same thing.

-Blaze

I was thinking just a staple or two to attach one side of the velcro to the wall, and the glue soley for the foam; that way I can remove the velcro from the wall and transfer it when I move.

gordone said:
Get a bunch of T-Pins from Wal-Mart/Target and push them into the valleys of the foam. Your thumbs will hurt for awhile, but the foam will be fine and you'll just be left with tiny little holes. If you're renting, the landlord shouldn't care because for all they know you just hung a bunch of pictures.

Here's what the T-pins look like - http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/item-avt85t.html

GOODLAND said:
I use velcro myself and it works pretty good. I recommend it.

Thanks guyz, both good ideas!

Back