which portable recording device

jtwrace

I hope that I'm posting this in the correct place. I've been looking at the Zoom H2 unit. I would like to be able to use this unit in a live setting. I would record in 24/96 for sure which will require a 4gig SD card. No problem there. So what is the quality like? Are the other units that you would suggest? The Zoom really looks like a great unit for the $$$ but I just want to buy smart.;)

That's why I'm here with all you smart people.

Thanks-

which portable recording device?

nagra42.jpg

:cool:Yo JW:

For the price, and the "sound" and the speed to burn CDs, I'd tell you to check out the Yamaha AW1600.

The 1600 will do lots of "easy" stuff and you can delve deeper into those "other" tools you might want to study/learn each day.

There is an excellent Forum dedicated to the 1600 for back up info from very good folks.

Learning the unit can get you by by using a 101 recording file, or just reading the manual is "fairly" decent.

You should examine the 1600 and check it out. Cost runs just under 1k.

Happy Warmer weather in our Midwest.

Green Hornet

The Zoom H2 and the Yamaha AW1600 cannot really be compared. The Zoom is the handheld "point and shoot" recorder for handy recording and soundbites, easy to use and slips into the pocket!!! The AW1600 is a superb bit of serious kit designed for a home studio. In other words - chalk and cheese!
If you want a recorder for gigs or to sneak into a concert then a Zoom (probably the H4n) would be the ideal piece of kit.
If you want to kit out a studio then the AW1600 is at the higher end of the "portastudio" multitracker range. You will also need to budget for microphones, cable etc.

I have a Zoom H2 and a Fostex MR-16. I use the Zoom for video soundtrack and the Fostex for music recording. (I also have a Yamaha EL900 keyboard) Both very different applications.

One advantage of the Zoom (H2, H4 or H4n) is that I can plug the card directly into my computer and download the recordings into my video editing suite. I can also download music recordings on to the Zoom card and use it as an MP3 player!

I originally considered the H4 as a possible unit, but a considerable study of online reviews convinced me otherwise. As attractive as it is at its pricepoint, with cutting edge features, the machine is plagued by a number of design flaws:
1. The unit is cheaply made and fragile as hell. Don't drop it.
2. The buttons suck, and die frequently, requiring many repair returns
3. (this is a deal killer) The input gain control is placed in the signal chain *after* the preamp, so if a loud signal is clipping the preamp, and you turn the input gain down, all you get is quieter clipping
4. The screen is wicked small and very difficult to read
5. The menus are often counter-intuitive
6. The buttons are in stupid places, so it takes two hands to do things you should be able to do with one, increasing handling noise

In spite of all of that, when it works, it actually sounds pretty good.

The good news is that Samson/Zoom seems to have actually read these reviews, and set out to fix it all, resulting in the H4n. Yep, it costs $350 with the accessories, instead of $200. Considering the pains in the ass it doesn't give you, it's simply worth it. Line by line, it has been redesigned:

1: Case rubberized, with mics placed in solid aluminum block
2. Buttons upgraded
3. Input gain placed *before* preamps (Duh!)
4. larger, much easier to read screen
5. menus simplified and better organized
6. Buttons moved to more standard/ergonomic locations- optional remote control card available

The people who have used the H4 talked me out of it, and after using the H4n for a while, I have not regretted paying the extra $ for it. If you can't afford it, buy a simple stereo machine like H2. It doesn't do as many things, but it also doesn't have as many problems. I'd also look at the equivalent Tascam machine.
P.S.- The H4n is also a pretty good USB audio interface, which allows recording straight to a computer in WAV format, and comes with the Cubase software, if you don't already own a DAW. BTW, you mention 24bit 96kHz sampling. Note that either the H4 or H4n will do that, but only in stereo mode. When used as a 4-tracker, it only supports 16bit/44.1 kHz, and that is the only stting where you can use all of its effects- compression/reverb/amp modeling, etc. Good luck-Richie

Back