Yamaha aw16G

Bernie555

Hi. Just got a yamaha aw16g recorder and finding the manual difficult to understand. At the moment I just need to know how to select reverb for my voice, but it seems really complicated. Has anyone got a simple fix ( like press this button and then whatever the next step is..thanks

Man..! After looking at the manual, it seems this unit requires a dozen steps to do anything :drunk: I would forget what I wanted to do before I got halfway through any procedure with this device.

This section may get you where you want - it's adding Reverb after recording.. in mixdown :

Using the internal effects via send/return on Page 84 of the manual.

Give me a little time, it's been a while and I'll pull out my AW and try to give you the step sequence to add reverb. It's really not that complicated, It's just learning to navigate through the menus. Once you do it a few times, it becomes second nature.

You might also want to bookmark the Dijonstock website. It is a forum dedicated to the Yamaha recorders (AW16G, 1600, 2400, 4416 and 2816)

Last edited:
I have an AW16G that I record to.
It's true that the manual could have been better written, but once you get a handle on learning the machine, it becomes second nature to operate it. Kinda like riding a bicycle.

As Talisman stated, navigating the AW16G menu screens can at first be cumbersome initially, but eventually, operation becomes second nature.
I've never been a fan of the effects the G affords, and I'm quite understanding of how difficult it is for new users to learn how to apply effects. I'm guessing that the manual was written by someone who didn't quite understand plain English.
I always recorded dry and then exported tracks to a CD, and from there into Adobe Audition on my PC to apply effects, yadayada.
I don't know if Talisman was ever a member at AW16G.com or Dijonstock.com, but the most prevalent complaint about the AW16G was......"Spontaneous Reboot".
It happened to me more than once and then all of a sudden I realized that I had become so familiar with the machine and I was pressing command buttons far faster than the machine could keep up with to process.
BOOM! SPONTANEOUS REBOOT.

@TalismanRich thanks for taking the time to record that video!

I never had the spontaneous reboot. I did record a full 2 hour band practice with 8 tracks one time. The issue was that it simply fills up the 20GB hard drive, and there's no easy way to get the files out except by writing each track to a CDRW to put into a DAW. Lukily they were each 400MB in size, so only 8 CD swaps! In that respect, the AW1600 is a giant leap forward with the addition of the USB port.

I have bought a IDE to SD card adapter, and want to try pulling the hard drive and putting in a 32GB SD card. That would solve any limits on hard disk size.

Guys... thanks you so much for your replys, they have been really helpful, I can now add reverb..It is a very complex piece of kit, but I am sure I willl get better at understanding it as time goes on.

I never had the spontaneous reboot. I did record a full 2 hour band practice with 8 tracks one time. The issue was that it simply fills up the 20GB hard drive, and there's no easy way to get the files out except by writing each track to a CDRW to put into a DAW. Lukily they were each 400MB in size, so only 8 CD swaps! In that respect, the AW1600 is a giant leap forward with the addition of the USB port.

I have bought a IDE to SD card adapter, and want to try pulling the hard drive and putting in a 32GB SD card. That would solve any limits on hard disk size.
Where is the usb port? or did you add it yourself. Is it a piece of hardware?

Thanks for the update, didnt realise that there was a difference.. Good luck with your projects. My brain is reeling from the manual at the moment... so many things I still cant do

Hi everyone. Having just got my AW16G recorder I am struggling to do some simple tasks, for instance how do I save a non completed song to disc so that I can bring it back to continue the next time I switch the machine back on. The manual doesnt actually refer to saving songs unless I have missed something? thanks

Saving a song is in my manual on page 63: 'Saving the current song'.
Repeatedly press the SONG key to access the LIST page.
The highlighted song is the one that will be saved.
Make sure you've named it sensibly.
Move the cursor to the SAVE button.
Hit 'ENTER' key, and the song will be saved.

Bernie, you might also want to try out "backing up a song". I would suggest you get some CD-RWs to use. That way you can test out the process without wasting any discs. You can back up a saved song onto a CD, and restore it at a later time. The info is in the manual starting at Page 145.

Thanks for that. Yes I found the info on page 63 and that worked a treat. I am just about to look at the cd writing which I am sure will also be of benefit.. Thanks again guys

Saving a song is in my manual on page 63: 'Saving the current song'.
Repeatedly press the SONG key to access the LIST page.
The highlighted song is the one that will be saved.
Make sure you've named it sensibly.
Move the cursor to the SAVE button.
Hit 'ENTER' key, and the song will be saved.
Thanks for that. Yes I found the info on page 63 and that worked a treat. I am just about to look at the cd writing which I am sure will also be of benefit.. Thanks again guys

Bernie, you might also want to try out "backing up a song". I would suggest you get some CD-RWs to use. That way you can test out the process without wasting any discs. You can back up a saved song onto a CD, and restore it at a later time. The info is in the manual starting at Page 145.

Hi, once again. Yes I am stuck on trying to record onto a CD. I have gone through the steps in the Manual leading up to recording onto the stereo track, but when I try to record onto the disk, it comes back with a message saying there is no stereo track even though its there. Any ideas anybody? Thanks Bernie

Back