Yamaha MD-8 Help Please

TN-MO

I just purchased a MD-8 multi-track recorder and I am having touble recording. I am trying to record mic and studio trax using the dir method. Everything seems to be in order until I stop the recording. When I push the last rec. in and then play nothing happens. I have tried push toc before I try to play it back but it doesn't help. The play buttton flashes and that's about it. I can insert a pre-recorded mini and it plays fine. I am new to this piece of equipment and need advise desprately.

i've never had trouble with the last rec in feature...it should just bring you back to the first of the recording...but as an alternative to that you can try just pressing the track selection button...like you are going to another track...i know when i hit STOP after recording..i just hit the back button and it brings me to the first of the song...then hit play...also make sure you push the little button below your gain(mic/line) before you play what you've recorded...hope this helps...i'm a bit of a newb too though...

Jordan

Thanks for the reply. It is not actually the last record in that is the problem. No matter what method I use to return to start of the track, it will not play. If I put in a disc that I recorded on my portable md it plays fine. I am afraid that there is a problem with the record mechanism, but I was hoping it was my mistake.

right but again had the same problem the first time i used my md8...it was only when i had the 'mic/line' buttion down while recording and up while listening that it worked try that...if mic/line is up while recording then it won't work...also if its NOT up during playback then you won't hear it...but its there...

hope that helps

Jordan

Thanks for the reply, Tried it but still can't make it work. What position does the group assign buttons need to be in?

hey i'm sorry i got it backwards....the mic/line button should be up when recording and down when listening to whatever track you've recorded on...try that...my bad. As far as the group assign i'm not sure because i usually don't use the group assign at all...maybe some guru will jump into this thread and post something genious

I have tried to contact yamaha tech service and they have returned my call. The problem is that they call while I am at work. I also have a roland vs840 with zip but it seems that I lose sound quality transfering it to computer. I would really like to get my yamaha going.

TN-MO, are you trying to transfer music from your Roland, or are you actually
recording from a mic into your MD8? I never used the direct method when micing a cab or vocals. After recording, If I remember correctly, you have to hit the stop button to "finalize" the recording. It's been a while since I used mine, so maybe I'm totally off here.

ooopps! I just read the manual, turns out direct method is sticking a mic into an input. sorry, I got confused with group method.

I have been out of state singing this weekend and just now got online to check for replies. I am using the mic in and line in direct mode. I have not had any luck trying to hook up with a tech rep at yamaha. I work 7-3 thru the week and sing on weekends. I would really like to find out what is going on. I have recieved e-mails from yamaha and they seem to think there is a faliure in the write mode and say it is a very expensive fix. That may be the case, but I would like to be sure before I send it off. THANKS for your reply..

Check to see if the recording head (should be a little red squarish thing) is hanging below the disc tray. It has a long enough ribbon cable that it will slide back behind the disc if the head is off track. This happened to me once and drove me nuts until I figured it out. I took the disk tray off and was able to reattach it without much trouble, just mind the springs that hold it in place.

Back